Match No. 1 - Saturday, 30th November 1872, 2:15pm
- Robert GardnerRobert Gardner.
Born 31st Mar 1847, Glasgow.
- William KerWilliam Ker.
Born 21st Mar 1852, Edinburgh.
- Joseph TaylorJoseph Taylor.
Born 16th Dec 1850, Dunoon.
- James ThomsonJames John Thomson.
Born 25th Dec 1851, Annan.
- James SmithJames Smith.
Born 1844, Aberdeen.
- Robert SmithRobert Smith.
Born 1st May 1848, Aberdeen.
- Robert LeckieRobert Leckie.
Born 19th Oct 1846, Killearn.
- Alex RhindAlexander Rhind.
Born 20th Sep 1849, Aberdeen.
- Billy MacKinnonWilliam Muir MacKinnon.
Born 18th Jan 1952, Glasgow.
- Jerry WeirJames Biggar Weir.
Born 23rd Nov 1851, Scotland.
- David WotherspoonDavid Wotherspoon.
Born 9th Apr 1849, Hamilton.
- William Maynard1st Surrey Rifles, 1st of 2 caps
19 years, 8 months, 12 days
- Cuthbert OttawayOxford University, 1st of 2 caps
22 years, 4 months, 11 day (c)1st captaincy
- Charley CheneryCrystal Palace (A), 1st of 3 caps
22 years, 10 months, 29 days
- Football MilestoneThe first ever international football match.
- Kick-off TimeScotland "won the toss, and selected the northern goal, thereby gaining the advantage of a slight elevation in the field". "...The strangers [England] kicked off at quarter-past two."
- UmpiresUmpires were CW Alcock for England & HN Smith for Scotland and William Keay as referee.
- Change of EndsIn early internationals the teams changed ends after each goal. They also changed ends at half time if the match was scoreless.
- England KeeperBecause of the unavailablity of first choice keeper Alex Morten, Barker keep goal during the first half and Maynard in the second.
- Match MilestoneEngland's 1st Match
- Player MilestoneRobert Barker's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneErnest Harwood Greenhalgh's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneReginald Courtenay Welch's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneFrederick Chappell's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneWilliam Maynard's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneJohn Brockbank's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneCharlie Clegg's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneArnold Kirke Smith's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneCuthbert Ottaway's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneCharley Chenery's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneCharles Morice's Only Cap
- The Scotsman "International (Association) Match, England v. Scotland", Monday 2nd December 1872, Page 6
- London Evening Standard "Football - England v. Scotland", Monday 2nd December 1872, Page 4
- Press Association reprinted in 10 other publications.
- Association Football in Victorian England by Philip Gibbons (Minerva Press 2001) page 36.
- Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle Monday, 2nd December 1872, page 6
- Glasgow Herald "International Football Match at Glasgow England v Scotland", Monday, 2nd December 1872, page 13.
- Manchester Guardian "International Football Match at Glasgow", Monday, 2nd December 1872, page 4.
- Sheffield and Rotherham Independent "Football - England v Scotland", Monday 2nd December 1872, page 4.