Match No. 8 - Saturday, 18th January 1879, 3:15pm
- William Davies, 45'
- WeatherDue to the atrocious snowfall both captains agreed to play halves of only 30 minutes each.
- AttendanceThe poor attendance was also due to the weather. Reports range from 100 to a few hundred.
- Player ReplacementRupert Anderson was a striker by trade but was selected as a goalkeeper as a late replacement.
- Disallowed Goal"Just before play ceased Davies, claimed a foul against one of the opposing forwards. This being allowed the ball should have been brought back to where the infringement of the law took place. As only those close to the spot were aware of the circumstance the game continued, and after Roberts had sent the ball between the posts, the Welshmen, who thought matters were now brought level were rather surprised that their efforts had been thrown away, and that the goal could not be reckoned."
- Player MilestoneRupert Anderson's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneLindsay Bury's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneClaude William Wilson's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneWilliam Clegg's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneEdward Parry's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneThomas Heathcote Sorby's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneHerbert Whitfield's Only Cap
- Goal MilestoneHerbert Whitfield's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneThomas Heathcote Sorby's 1st Goal
- The Times "Sporting Intelligence", Monday 20th January 1879, Page 11
- Association Football in Victorian England by Philip Gibbons (Minerva Press 2001) page 54.
- Welsh Football Data Archive
- Sheffield and Rotherham Independent "Football - England v Wales", Monday 20th January 1879, page 4.
- The Morning Post "Football - England v Wales", Monday 20th January 1879, page 3.
- Sporting Life Reprinted by Wrexham Guardian, Friday 25th January 1879, page 8.
- The Cambrian News "England v Wales", Thursday, 24th January 1879, page 3.
- Richard Sagar Bastard
- England - 2nd
- Wales - 3rd