Match No. 8 - Saturday, 18th January 1879, 3:15pm
- Assist: Norman Bailey. "The English forwards now for a time kept their opponents well employed on the defence, and at last Whitfield, getting an opening, landed the ball safely between the Welsh posts." Herbert WhitfieldOnly Goal. , 8' ?
- Assist: Herbert Whitfield. "Not long before half time a fine run by Wace and Cursham carried the ball well down into the front of the Welsh fort, and Sorby on the alert secured the second goal for England." Thomas SorbyOnly Goal. , 20'
- Lindsay BuryOld Etonians, 2nd of 2 caps
21 years, 6 months, 9 days
- Claude WilsonOxford University, 1st of 2 caps
20 years, 4 months, 9 days
- Norman BaileyClapham, 2nd of 19 caps
21 years, 5 months, 26 days
- William CleggSheffield Albion, 2nd of 2 caps
26 years, 8 months, 27 days
- Edward ParryOld Carthusians, 1st of 3 caps
23 years, 8 months, 24 days
- Thomas SorbyThursday Wanderers, Only Cap
22 years, 11 month, 2 days
- Arthur CurshamNotts County, 4th of 6 caps
25 years, 10 months, 4 days (c)2nd captaincy
- Henry WaceWanderers, 2nd of 3 caps
25 years, 3 months, 27 days
- Billy MosforthSheffield Albion, 3rd of 9 caps
20 years, 0 months, 16 days
- William Davies, 45'
- George GlascodineGeorge Glascodine.
Born 1856, England.
- Llewelyn KenrickSamuel Llewelyn Kenrick.
Date of birth unknown, Ruabon.
- George HighamGeorge Higham.
Born 1855, England.
- William WilliamsWilliam Williams.
Born 1856, Ruabon.
- Thomas OwenThomas Owen.
Born 1861, Wales.
- William DaviesWilliam Henry Davies.
Born 1855, Oswestry.
- William ShoneWilliam Shone.
- Dennis HeywoodDennis Heywood.
Born 1854, England.
- John PriceJohn Henry Price.
Born 1854, Wrexham.
- Digby OwenWilliam Digby Owen.
Born 1857, Oswestry.
- William RobertsWilliam Roberts.
Born 1859, Llangollen.
Not to be confused with William Roberts born 1863.
- WeatherDue to the atrocious snowfall both captains agreed to play halves of only 30 minutes each.
- AttendanceThe poor attendance was also due to the weather. Reports range from 100 to a few hundred.
- Player ReplacementRupert Anderson was a striker by trade but was selected as a goalkeeper as a late replacement.
- Disallowed Goal"Just before play ceased Davies, claimed a foul against one of the opposing forwards. This being allowed the ball should have been brought back to where the infringement of the law took place. As only those close to the spot were aware of the circumstance the game continued, and after Roberts had sent the ball between the posts, the Welshmen, who thought matters were now brought level were rather surprised that their efforts had been thrown away, and that the goal could not be reckoned."
- Player MilestoneRupert Anderson's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneLindsay Bury's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneClaude Wilson's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneWilliam Clegg's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneEdward Parry's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneThomas Sorby's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneHerbert Whitfield's Only Cap
- Goal MilestoneHerbert Whitfield's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneThomas Sorby's 1st Goal
- The Times "Sporting Intelligence", Monday 20th January 1879, Page 11
- Association Football in Victorian England by Philip Gibbons (Minerva Press 2001) page 54.
- Welsh Football Data Archive
- Sheffield and Rotherham Independent "Football - England v Wales", Monday 20th January 1879, page 4.
- The Morning Post "Football - England v Wales", Monday 20th January 1879, page 3.
- Sporting Life Reprinted by Wrexham Guardian, Friday 25th January 1879, page 8.
- The Cambrian News "England v Wales", Thursday, 24th January 1879, page 3.
- Richard Sagar Bastard
- No change in rank, gaining 1 ranking points to 1962 points England - 2nd
- Wales - 3rd