Match No. 9 - Saturday, 5th April 1879, 4:00pm
- Billy Muir MacKinnon, 25'
- John McDougall c30
- John Smith c35
- Billy Muir MacKinnon 42?
- Kick-off TimeDue to kick off a 4pm but reporting seems to suggest it was anytime between then and 4:20pm. The Sheffield Independent is very specific in stating 4:18pm. Scotland won the toss and England captain Wace kicked-off against the wind.
- Disputed Goal ScorerSome reports suggest that the 4th England goal was credited as a Robert Parlane own goal.
- Disallowed GoalsAccording to the Morning Post their were no fewer than four disallowed goals, two for each team. All for offside.
- Player MilestoneReg Birkett's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneEdward Christian's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneRev Harold Morse's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneJames Prinsep's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneArthur Goodyer's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneArnold Hills' Only Cap
- Player MilestoneHenry Wace's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFrancis Sparks' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneCharlie Bambridge's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneBilly Mosforth's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneCharlie Bambridge's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneArthur Goodyer's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneNorman Bailey's 1st Goal
- Player MilestoneHenry Wace's 1st Captaincy
- Association Football in Victorian England by Philip Gibbons (Minerva Press 2001) page 56.
- Morning Post "England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 3.
- Leeds Mercury "The International Footbal Match - England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- Sheffield Daily Telegraph "England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- Sheffield Independent "England v Scotland. Brilliant play of Mosforth.", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- Charles Wollaston
Half Time Score
- England - 2nd 0
- Scotland - 1st