Match No. 9 - Saturday, 5th April 1879, circa 4:20pm
- Assist: Norman Bailey. "...Bailey got in possesion of the ball, and after a short run, by a clever piece of passing, gave it to Mosforth, who shot it between the posts..." Billy Mosforth1st of 3 goals. , 10' ?
- "The action had not long recommenced when...Bambridge was the first to show to advantage. Getting in possesion of the ball, he ran it over more than...three-quarters...the length of the ground, and then kicked it under the bar". Charlie Bambridge1st of 11 goals. , 48' ?
- "..and about ten minutes later on...Mosforth made a smart run and passed the ball to Goodyear [sic], who kicked the third goal for his side..." Arthur GoodyerOnly Goal. , 60' ?
- "...Bailey soon afterwards having a throw-in close to the corner flag, planted the ball in the very mouth of the goal, and although Parlane tried to stop it the ball passed through off his hand...although the Scotch goalkeeper touched the ball, it passed between the posts." Norman Bailey1st of 2 goals. , 75' ?
- "...and then the ball, having been played to Bambridge, that player kicked the fifth goal for his side." Charlie Bambridge2nd of 11 goals. , 83'
- Reg BirkettClapham, Only Cap
30 years, 0 months, 8 days
- Harold MorseNotts County, Only Cap
19 years, 4 months, 1 day
- Norman BaileyClapham, 3rd of 19 caps
21 years, 8 months, 13 days
- Arnold HillsOld Harrovians, Only Cap
22 years, 0 months, 24 days
- Henry WaceWanderers, 3rd of 3 caps
25 years, 6 months, 14 days (c)1st captaincy
- Billy MosforthSheffield Albion, 4th of 9 caps
20 years, 3 months, 3 days
- Billy MacKinnon, 25'
- John McDougall 30' ?
- John Smith 35' ?
- Billy MacKinnon 42' ?
- Robert ParlaneRobert Parlane.
Born 5th Jan 1947, Bonhill.
- William SomersWilliam Somers.
Born 1850, Scotland.
- Tom VallanceThomas Vallance.
Born 27th May 1856, Renton.
- Charles CampbellCharles Campbell.
Born 1854, Coupar Angus.
- John McPhersonJohn Campbell McLeod McPherson.
Born 1855, Scotland.
Not to be confused with John McPherson (1875) nor John McPherson (1888-1897).
- William BeveridgeWilliam Wightman Beveridge.
Born 27th Nov 1858, Cumnock.
- Robert PatonRobert Paton.
Born 1854, Bonhill.
- John SmithJohn Smith.
Born 12th Aug 1855, Mauchline.
- Billy MacKinnonWilliam Muir MacKinnon.
Born 18th Jan 1952, Glasgow.
- John McDougallJohn McDougall.
Born 1853, Scotland.
- Henry McNeilHenry McNeil.
Born 1853, Scotland.
- Kick-off TimeDue to kick off a 4pm but reports suggest it was anytime between then and 4:20pm. The Times suggests ten past four, Leeds Mercury 4:20pm whilst The Sheffield Independent is very specific in stating 4:18pm. Scotland won the toss and England captain Wace kicked-off against the wind.
- Disallowed GoalsAccording to the Morning Post their were no fewer than four disallowed goals, two for each team. All for offside.
- UmpiresR.B. Colquhoun (Scotland) and A. F. Kinnaird (England)
- Player MilestoneReg Birkett's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneEdward Christian's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneHarold Morse's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneJames Prinsep's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneArthur Goodyer's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneArnold Hills' Only Cap
- Player MilestoneHenry Wace's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFrancis Sparks' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneCharlie Bambridge's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneBilly Mosforth's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneCharlie Bambridge's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneArthur Goodyer's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneNorman Bailey's 1st Goal
- Association Football in Victorian England by Philip Gibbons (Minerva Press 2001) page 56.
- The Morning Post "England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 3.
- Leeds Mercury "The International Footbal Match - England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- Sheffield Daily Telegraph "England v Scotland", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- Sheffield and Rotherham Independent "England v Scotland. Brilliant play of Mosforth.", Monday 7th April 1879, page 4.
- The Times "Football", Monday 7th April 1879, page 11
- Charles Wollaston
- No change in rank, gaining 9 ranking points to 1871 points England - 2nd
- Scotland - 1st