Match No. 59 - Saturday, 20th February 1897
- William OakleyCorinthians, 5th of 16 caps
23 years, 9 months, 23 days
- Tommy CrawshawSheffield Wed, 5th of 10 caps
24 years, 1 month, 24 days
- Ernest NeedhamSheffield Utd, 3rd of 16 caps
24 years, 0 months, 30 days
- GO SmithCorinthians, 8th of 20 caps
24 years, 2 months, 25 days (c)3rd captaincy
- Fred WheldonAston Villa, 1st of 4 caps
27 years, 3 months, 19 days
- Tom ScottThomas McComb Scott.
Born 9th Aug 1873.
- Jack PonsonbyJohn Ponsonby.
Born 1876, Dumbarton, Scotland.
- Sam TorransSamuel Torrans.
Born 27th Oct 1869, Belfast.
- Jack PyperJohn Stanley Pyper.
Born 9th Jan 1878.
Younger brother of Jim Pyper.
- Bob MilneRobert George Milne.
Born 1st Oct 1870, Inverarity, Scotland.
- George McMasterGeorge McMaster.
- James CampbellJames Caughley Campbell.
Born 5th Sep 1875, Belfast.
- George HallGeorge Hall.
Date of birth unknown, Belfast.
- Olphie StanfieldOlphert Martin Stanfield.
Born 26th Feb 1869, Corcreaney.
- Johnny DarlingJohn Darling.
Born 30th Oct 1877, Belfast.
- James BarronJames Humphrey Barron.
Born 30th Sep 1874, Belfast.
- New FA Select CommitteeThe FA Select Committee expand from 7 members to 9.
- Hat-Trick: Fred Wheldon1st hat-trick (13th overall). 30 minutes between first and third goals.
- Player MilestoneJack Robinson's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneBilly Williams' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneBernard Middleditch's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Wheldon's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneHarry Bradshaw's Only Cap
- Goal MilestoneSteve Bloomer's 10th Goal
- Goal MilestoneFred Wheldon's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneCharlie Athersmith's 1st Goal
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- Scotland Thomas Robertson
- No change in rank, gaining 1 ranking points to 2050 points England - 1st
- Ireland - 4th