Match No. 11 - Monday, 15th March 1880, 3:20pm
- "The ball was brought quickly down the wing by Davies after the kick out; he centred it to Price, who passed it to the left wing, and W. Roberts drew first blood to Wales at 4.40[pm]. William Roberts, 80'
- "The venue of the play then changed to the English side, and Hunter saved his goal twice, but at 4.49[pm] J. Roberts put the ball through..." John Roberts, 89'
- Harry HibbottHarry Hibbott.
Born 1859, Wales.
- John MorganJohn Richard Morgan.
Born 1855, Pengwern.
- Jack PowellJohn Powell.
Born 25th Mar 1860, Ffrwd.
- Harry EdwardsHenry Edwards.
Born 1856, Wales.
- William WilliamsWilliam Williams.
Born 1856, Ruabon.
- William OwenWilliam Pierce Owen.
Born 20th Nov 1860, Wales.
- William DaviesWilliam Henry Davies.
Born 1855, Oswestry.
- Thomas BodenThomas Boden.
Born Jun 1860, Wrexham, Wales.
- John PriceJohn Henry Price.
Born 1854, Wrexham.
- John RobertsJohn Roberts.
Born 1857, Llangollen.
- William RobertsWilliam Roberts.
Born 1859, Llangollen.
Not to be confused with William Roberts born 1863.
- "..the ball was got away from the immediate vicinity of the goal, but sent back by Brindle. Hibbott stopped it, but made a stumble, and put it through, and scored the first goal for England at 3.52[pm]." William BrindleOnly Goal. , 32'
- "...Sparks got hold of the leather in the middle of the ground, and, running right through the Welsh backs, placed a second goal to the credit of England at 4.6[pm]. Francis Sparks2nd of 3 goals. , 66'
- "Brindle had to retire in consequence of a hurt in the back, and immediately afterwards England again scored." "Mitchell got a run up the centre, and passed to Sparks. The latter took a shot, which Hibbott put back, but at the second attempt he put the ball through the goal at 4.37[pm]." Francis Sparks3rd of 3 goals. , 77'
- John SandsNotts Forest, Only Cap
21 years, 0 months, 11 day
- Edwin LuntleyNotts Forest, 2nd of 2 caps
22 years, 10 months, 17 days
- Jack HunterSheffield Heeley, 3rd of 7 caps
28 years, 7 months, 2 days
- Harry CurshamNotts County, 1st of 8 caps
20 years, 3 months, 18 days
- Francis SparksClapham, 3rd of 3 caps
24 years, 8 months, 11 day (c)1st captaincy
- Edward JohnsonSaltley College, 1st of 2 caps
20 years, 2 months, 14 days
- Billy MosforthSheffield Albion, 6th of 9 caps
21 years, 2 months, 13 days
- Disputed GoalThere are differeing contemporary accounts of England's first goal. The Wrexham Advertiser alludes to Brindle scoring or possibly an own goal by Hibbott "..the ball was got away from the immediate vicinity of the goal, but sent back by Brindle. Hibbott stopped it, but made a stumble, and put it through, and scored the first goal for England at 3.52[pm]." Nottingham Evening Post and Bell's Life in London credit the goal to Sparks but in the second half. Because of the Wrexham Advertiser's article is more descriptive we're going with their version of events.
- Player InjuryWilliam Brindle had to leave the game in the 2nd half due to injury. "Brindle had to retire in consequence of a hurt in the back, and immediately afterwards England again scored."
- UmpiresRichard Sagar Bastard (England) & L.L. Kenrick (Wales)
- Player MilestoneJohn Sands' Only Cap
- Player MilestoneEdwin Luntley's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneWilliam Brindle's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Hargreaves' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneThomas Marshall's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneHarry Cursham's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneFrancis Sparks' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneClement Mitchell's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneEdward Johnson's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneWilliam Brindle's 1st Goal
- Welsh Football Data Archive
- Nottingham Evening Post Football. England v Wales, Tuesday 16th March 1880, page 3.
- Wrexham Advertiser "England v Wales", Saturday, 20th March 1880, page 3.
- The Times "England v Wales", Wednesday 17th March 1880, page 12.
- Robert E Lythgoe
- No change in rank, gaining 2 ranking points to 1967 points England - 2nd
- Wales - 3rd