Asociación Uruguaya de Fútbol
- The AUF was founded in 1900 and the Uruguayan national team played its first game against Argentina in 1902, a 6-0 thumping.
Still, they were hooked and kept coming back, playing all but one (Chile) of their next 34 games against Argentina. To date, they have played their old rivals well over 160 times which far outstrips the world's oldest rivalry, England v Scotland by more than 50 games.
Winners of the inaugural World Cup in 1930 on home soil, they also won the trophy again when it returned to South America in 1950. The have also won the Copa America 15 times; the most recent in 2011.
Uruguay is one of only four nations (Brazil, Italy and Netherlands) to have a better head-to-head record against England. The first encounter between the two was in Montevideo in 1953 where the South Americans prevailed 2-1.
The second knocked England out of the 1954 World Cup at the quarter-final stage by four goals to two. They also met in the first game of the 1966 World Cup which ended in a tame nil all draw and most recently Uruguay beat England 2-1 in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Head to head
- World Cup FinalsWCF
- URU, 19th Jun 2014, 1 - 2 (WCF)
- URU, 1st Mar 2006, 2 - 1 (FR)
- URU, 29th Mar 1995, 0 - 0 (FR)
- URU, 22nd May 1990, 1 - 2 (FR)
- URU, 13th Jun 1984, 0 - 2 (FR)
- URU, 15th Jun 1977, 0 - 0 (FR)
- URU, 8th Jun 1969, 2 - 1 (FR)
- URU, 11th Jul 1966, 0 - 0 (WCF)
- URU, 6th May 1964, 2 - 1 (FR)
- URU, 26th Jun 1954, 2 - 4 (WCF)
- URU, 31st May 1953, 1 - 2 (FR)
- * Match was concluded via extra time, penalties or both.