Malta Football Association
- The Maltese Football Association was formed in 1900 with national leagues running from 1909. However, it wasn't until 1957 that the first international game was played losing 3-2 to Austria. They joined FIFA in 1959 and UEFA a year later. They have failed to qualify for both the World Cup (first attempting in 1974) and the European Championship (since 1960).
England have played Malta on five occasions. The first two in qualifying for the 1972 European Championship and a friendly in 2000 prior to the European Championship of that year; an interesting debut for Ipswich 'keeper Richard Wright.
They were last paired in World Cup qualifying for 2018.
Head to head
- European Championship QualifierECQ
- World Cup QualifierWCQ
- MLT, 1st Sep 2017, 4 - 0 (WCQ)
- MLT, 8th Oct 2016, 2 - 0 (WCQ)
- MLT, 3rd Jun 2000, 2 - 1 (FR)
- MLT, 12th May 1971, 5 - 0 (ECQ)
- MLT, 3rd Feb 1971, 1 - 0 (ECQ)
- * Match was concluded via extra time, penalties or both.