Match No. 653 - Wednesday, 28th March 1990, 8:00pm
- Assist: John Barnes. "In the 36th minute Lineker's persistence forced Mauro Galvao to concede a corner on the left, taken by Beardsley. Barnes headed the ball on from the near post and Taffarel, who had already looked suspect in the air, was stranded in a fog of indecision as Lineker put England in the front with the action of a man looking through a letterbox." Gary Lineker30th of 48 goals. Header from 6 yards., 36' 35:22
- Peter ShiltonDerby, 114th of 125 caps
40 years, 6 months, 10 days
- Gary StevensRangers, 37th of 46 caps
27 years, 0 months, 1 day
- Stuart PearceNotts Forest, 20th of 78 caps
27 years, 11 month, 4 days
- Steve McMahonLiverpool, 10th of 17 caps
28 years, 7 months, 8 days
- Des WalkerNotts Forest, 14th of 59 caps
24 years, 4 months, 2 days
- Terry ButcherRangers, 68th of 77 caps
31 years, 3 months, 0 days
Centre Back (c)3rd captaincy
- David PlattAston Villa, 3rd of 62 caps
23 years, 9 months, 18 days
- Chris WaddleMarseille, 49th of 62 caps
29 years, 3 months, 14 days
- Peter BeardsleyLiverpool, 38th of 59 caps
29 years, 2 months, 10 days
- Gary LinekerSpurs, 47th of 80 caps
29 years, 3 months, 28 days
- John BarnesLiverpool, 50th of 79 caps
26 years, 4 months, 21 day
- Chris WoodsRangers, 15th of 43 caps
30 years, 4 months, 14 days
- Paul GascoigneSpurs, 7th of 57 caps
22 years, 10 months, 1 day
- Cláudio TaffarelCláudio André Mergen Taffarel.
Born 8th May 1966, Santa Rosa.
- JorginhoJorge de Amorim Campos.
Born 17th Aug 1964, Rio de Janeiro.
- BrancoCláudio Ibrahim Vaz Leal.
Born 4th Apr 1964, Bagé.
- Carlos MozerJosé Carlos Nepomuceno Mozer.
Born 19th Sep 1960, Rio de Janeiro.
- Ricardo GomesRicardo Gomes Raymundo.
Born 13th Dec 1964, Rio de Janeiro.
- Mauro GalvãoMauro Geraldo Galvão.
Born 19th Dec 1961, Porto Alegre.
- BebetoJosé Roberto Gama de Oliveira.
Born 16th Feb 1964, Salvador.
- DungaCarlos Caetano Bledorn Verri.
Born 31st Oct 1963, Ijuí.
- CarecaAntônio de Oliveira Filho.
Born 5th Oct 1960, Araraquara.
- Silas PereiraPaulo Silas do Prado Pereira.
Born 27th Aug 1965, Campinas.
- ValdoValdo Cândido de Oliveira Filho.
Born 12th Jan 1964, Siderópolis.
- AlemãoRicardo Rogério de Brito.
Born 22nd Nov 1961, Lavras.
- MüllerLuís Antônio Corrêa da Costa.
Born 31st Jan 1966, Campo Grande.
- BismarckBismarck Barreto Faria.
Born 17th Sep 1969, São Gonçalo.
- AldairAldair Nascimento dos Santos.
Born 30th Nov 1965, Ilhéus.
- Player Injury"Peter Shilton joined Lofthouse among those who have worn head bandages for England although in Shilton's case he had to wear it on the sidelines for all but 11 minutes of the game. Shilton collided with Des Walker [10:15], caught the defender's elbow in the face and needed eight stitches in a cut above the eye."
- Off the line?In the 67th minute [66:12] Stuart Pearce cleared a Muller shot off the line after the Brazilian had rounded Woods. The East German referee is shoved by several Brazilians notably Branco and Alemao and he takes out his red card from his back pocket but does not brandish it to anyone. Instead he looks bewildered before wandering over to his linesman who confirms it wasn't a goal and play should contine with a throw-in.
- World In MotionFootage of the game features in the New Order video World in Motion.
- Player MilestoneJohn Barnes' 50th Cap
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Lineker strikes gold in Brazilian interior.", Thursday 29th March 1990, page 14.
- Daily Telegraph "Lineker ends Brazil's European conquest", Thursday 29th March 1990, page 34.
- East Germany Klaus Perchel
- Up 1 place, gaining 9 ranking points to 1953 points England - 6th - 1
- Brazil - 2nd