Match No. 65 - Saturday, 18th February 1899
- "England attacked, Forman sending in a [long] shot, the ball rebounding off Milnes' [sic] boot into the net... at the end of fifteen minutes' play". Frank FormanOnly Goal. , 15'
- "...five minutes after the first point Fred Forman shot in at close range. The ball struck the post and went into the net." Fred Forman1st of 3 goals. , 20'
- "A minute later the Englishmen were again round the Irish posts, and Athersmith, with a longish swift shot, scored the third goal for his side." Charlie Athersmith3rd of 3 goals. , 21'
- "The Englishmen were speedily in evidence again, and Athersmith struck the bar with a sharp shot. Smith quickly rushed up, and collaring the ball scored the fourth goal. There was a suspicion of off side...but the referee promtly disallowed the appeal of the Irishmen." GO Smith7th of 11 goals. , 32'
- "Five minutes before the interval Bloomer scored the fifth goal." Steve Bloomer16th of 28 goals. , 40'
- Fred Forman2nd of 3 goals. , 52'
- Jimmy Settle1st of 6 goals. , 53'
- Jimmy Settle2nd of 6 goals. , 55'
- GO Smith8th of 11 goals. , 59'
- GO Smith9th of 11 goals. , 60'
- GO Smith10th of 11 goals. , 63'
- Jimmy Settle3rd of 6 goals. , 80'
- Steve Bloomer17th of 28 goals. , 89'
- Jack HillmanBurnley, Only Cap
28 years, 2 months, 18 days
- Phil BachSunderland, Only Cap
26 years, 5 months, 17 days
- Billy WilliamsWBA, 5th of 6 caps
23 years, 0 months, 29 days
- Frank FormanNotts Forest, 3rd of 9 caps
23 years, 8 months, 26 days
- Jimmy CrabtreeAston Villa, 7th of 14 caps
27 years, 1 month, 26 days
- Ernest NeedhamSheffield Utd, 8th of 16 caps
26 years, 0 months, 28 days
- Steve BloomerDerby, 9th of 23 caps
25 years, 0 months, 29 days
- GO SmithCorinthians, 14th of 20 caps
26 years, 2 months, 23 days
Centre Forward (c)8th captaincy
- Jimmy SettleBury, 1st of 6 caps
23 years, 5 months, 13 days
- Fred FormanNotts Forest, 1st of 3 caps
25 years, 3 months, 10 days
- Joe McAllen (pen) 65?
- James Campbell, 88'
- Jim LewisJames Lewis.
- Jack PyperJohn Stanley Pyper.
Born 9th Jan 1878.
Younger brother of Jim Pyper.
- Sam TorransSamuel Torrans.
Born 27th Oct 1869, Belfast.
- Jack PonsonbyJohn Ponsonby.
Born 1876, Dumbarton, Scotland.
- Bob MilneRobert George Milne.
Born 1st Oct 1870, Inverarity, Scotland.
- Mick CochraneMichael Cochrane.
Born 1875, .
- James CampbellJames Caughley Campbell.
Born 5th Sep 1875, Belfast.
- Johnnie MercerJohn Thompson Mercer.
Born 1877, Belfast.
Also known as Toby.
- Jack WaringR. John Waring.
Date of birth unknown.
- Jack WattieJohn Wattie.
Date of birth unknown.
- Joe McAllenJoseph Croft McAllen.
Date of birth unknown, Belfast.
- Match InfoStill the record number of goals scored by England in a single match.
- Match InfoAlso the highest aggregate goals (15) in a game involving England.
- Disallowed GoalWith the score at 4-0: "...in a skirmish in front of the Irish goal Smith placed into the net just after the whistle had sounded for offside."
- Missed Penalty: GO Smith1st miss from 1st taken (0.0%). England's 1st overall. At the start of the second half with the score 5-0 "...Smith was about to put the ball through when Lewis rushed at him, and threw him down. The referee awarded a penalty kick which was taken by Smith. Lewis saved by turning the ball aside..." The first penalty to be awarded to England, and the first one to be missed.
- Hat-Trick: GO Smith1st hat-trick (14th overall). 28 minutes between first and third goals. Time between second and fourth goals: 4 minutes.
- Hat-Trick: Jimmy Settle1st hat-trick (15th overall). 27 minutes between first and third goals. Second England match to have two hat-tricks.
- Player MilestoneJack Hillman's Only Cap
- Player MilestonePhil Bach's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneJimmy Settle's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Forman's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneFrank Forman's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneFred Forman's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneJimmy Settle's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneGO Smith's 10th Goal
- The Times "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899.
- Derby Daily Telegraph "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899, page 3.
- Freeman's Journal "England v Ireland", Monday 20th February 1899, page 7.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- Scotland Alexander Hamilton
Between 12,000 and 15,000
- No change in rank, gaining 1 ranking points to 2061 points England - 1st
- Ireland - 4th