Match No. 61 - Saturday, 3rd April 1897
- Jack RobinsonDerby, 2nd of 11 caps
26 years, 11 month, 11 day
- William OakleyCorinthians, 7th of 16 caps
23 years, 11 month, 6 days
- Howard SpencerAston Villa, 2nd of 6 caps
21 years, 7 months, 11 day
- Jack ReynoldsAston Villa, 8th of 8 caps
28 years, 1 month, 10 days
- Tommy CrawshawSheffield Wed, 7th of 10 caps
24 years, 3 months, 7 days
- Ernest NeedhamSheffield Utd, 5th of 16 caps
24 years, 2 months, 13 days
- Steve BloomerDerby, 7th of 23 caps
23 years, 2 months, 14 days
- GO SmithCorinthians, 10th of 20 caps
24 years, 4 months, 8 days
Centre Forward (c)5th captaincy
- Edgar ChadwickEverton, 7th of 7 caps
27 years, 9 months, 19 days
- Alf MilwardEverton, 4th of 4 caps
26 years, 6 months, 21 day
- Tommy Hyslop, 27'
- Jimmy Millar, 83'
- John PatrickJohn Patrick.
Born 10th Jan 1870, Kilsyth.
- Nicol SmithNicol Smith.
Born 25th Dec 1873, Darvel.
- Dan DoyleDaniel Doyle.
Born 16th Sep 1864, Paisley.
- Neilly GibsonNeil Gibson.
Born 23rd Feb 1873, Larkhall.
- James CowanJames Cowan.
Born 17th Oct 1868, Jamestown.
- Hughie WilsonHugh Wilson.
Born 18th Mar 1869, Mauchline.
- Jack BellJohn Bell.
Born 6th Oct 1869, Dumbarton.
- Jimmy MillarJames Millar.
Born 2nd Mar 1870, Annbank.
- George AllanGeorge Horsburgh Allan.
Born 23rd Aug 1875, Linlithgow.
- Tommy HyslopBryce Thomas Scouller.
Born 20th Aug 1871, Auchinleck.
- William LambieWilliam Allan Lambie.
Born 10th Jan 1873, Glasgow.
- Player MilestoneJack Reynolds' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneEdgar Chadwick's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneAlf Milward's Last Cap
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- Wales Richard Thomas Gough
- No change in rank, losing -31 ranking points to 2020 points England - 1st
- Scotland - 2nd