Match No. 519 - Wednesday, 19th April 1978, 7:45pm
- "..in the 70th minute [England] drew level after one foul too many from Cerezo. Currie ran over the ball and Keegan beat Leao with a low shot." Kevin Keegan9th of 21 goals. Right-footed from 20 yards., 70' 69:15
- Joe CorriganMan City, 2nd of 9 caps
29 years, 5 months, 1 day
- Mick MillsIpswich, 15th of 42 caps
29 years, 3 months, 15 days
- Trevor CherryLeeds, 16th of 27 caps
30 years, 1 month, 25 days
- Brian GreenhoffMan Utd, 13th of 18 caps
24 years, 11 month, 21 day
- David WatsonMan City, 30th of 65 caps
31 years, 6 months, 14 days
- Tony CurrieLeeds, 8th of 17 caps
28 years, 3 months, 18 days
- Kevin KeeganHamburg, 36th of 63 caps
27 years, 2 months, 5 days
Midfield (c)11th captaincy
- Steve CoppellMan Utd, 3rd of 42 caps
22 years, 9 months, 10 days
- Bob LatchfordEverton, 2nd of 12 caps
27 years, 3 months, 1 day
Centre Forward 37:10 Push on the keeper on the goalline.
- Trevor FrancisBirmingham, 9th of 52 caps
24 years, 0 months, 0 days
- Peter BarnesMan City, 3rd of 22 caps
20 years, 10 months, 9 days
- "...10th minute...Edinho suddenly released a mavellous pass inside to Rivelino who immediately found Gil running in from the right with time and space to widen the angle and beat Corrigan with a well struck left footed shot." Gil, 10'9:19
- Émerson LeãoÉmerson Leão.
Born 11th Jul 1949, Ribeirão Preto.
- Zé MariaJosé Maria Rodrigues Alves.
Born 18th May 1949, Botucatu.
35:49 Arguing with the referee after a free-kick was awarded against him.
- Abel BragaAbel Carlos da Silva Braga.
Born 1st Sep 1952, Rio de Janeiro.
89:21 Two-footed lunge on Coppell. Abel gets the ball but it is dangerous.
- AmaralJoão Justino Amaral dos Santos.
Born 25th Dec 1954, Campinas.
- EdinhoEdino Nazareth Filho.
Born 5th Jun 1955, Rio de Janeiro.
05:14 Edinho slips as he chases after a long ball with Greenhoff and cynically brings him down.
- Toninho CerezoAntônio Carlos Cerezo.
Born 21st Apr 1955, Belo Horizonte.
50:07 Tripping Keegan on the edge of the area.
- RivellinoRoberto Rivellino.
Born 1st Jan 1946, São Paulo.
- GilGilberto Alves.
Born 24th Dec 1950, Belo Horizonte.
- ZicoArthur Antunes Coimbra.
Born 3rd Mar 1953, Rio de Janerio.
- João Batista NunesJoão Batista Nunes de Oliveira.
Born 20th May 1954, Bahia.
- DirceuDirceu José Guimarães.
Born 15th Jun 1952, Curitiba.
- João Batista da SilvaJoão Batista da Silva.
Born 8th Mar 1955, Porto Alegre.
69:00 Not retreating 10 yards for a free kick.
- Goal disallowedAfter a Brazilian goalmouth scramble on 37 minutes the ball does cross the line but the referee rules it out for a push on the keeper by Latchford who is very harshly carded.
- Keegan GoalA lot happened before Keegan 70th minute goal. Firstly, Cerezo clotheslined Francis to give away the free-kick about 22 yards out. Cerezo, who had already been booked, was very lucky not to be shown a red card. Batista da Silva gets a pointless yellow card by standing within two yards of the free-kick and refusing to move. When he finally does, he then encroaches so much prior to Keegan striking the ball that he is no more than 5 yards out. However, Keegan's shot is hit past the wall and straight at the keeper who fumbles it into the net. Not a pretty sequence of events for Brazil.
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- Official Match Programme
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Jekyll and Hyde Brazilians", Thursday, 20th April 1978, page 20.
- Netherlands Charles Corver
- Down 1 place, gaining 1 ranking points to 1926 points England - 9th - 1
- Brazil - 3rd