Match No. 464 - Wednesday, 11th October 1972, 7:45pm
- Assist: Alan Ball. "They gained their goal in the thirty-ninth minute with a delightful move...Channon chipped over the ball and Ball, who could have shot himself, turned and touched on the ball unselfishly to Royle. The shot blasted into the roof of the net..." Joe Royle1st of 2 goals. Right-footed from 10 yards., 39'
- Peter ShiltonLeicester, 5th of 125 caps
23 years, 0 months, 23 days
- Mick MillsIpswich, 1st of 42 caps
23 years, 9 months, 7 days
- Peter StoreyArsenal, 9th of 19 caps
27 years, 1 month, 4 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 97th of 108 caps
31 years, 5 months, 29 days (c)79th captaincy
- Alan BallArsenal, 57th of 72 caps
27 years, 4 months, 30 days
- Mick ChannonSouthampton, 1st of 46 caps
23 years, 10 months, 13 days
- Joe RoyleEverton, 2nd of 6 caps
23 years, 6 months, 3 days
- Colin BellMan City, 21st of 48 caps
26 years, 7 months, 13 days
- Rodney MarshMan City, 7th of 9 caps
28 years, 0 months, 0 days
- "The Yugoslav's goal came in the 50th minute, following a move by Pavlovic and carried on by the back, Krivokuca down the wing. A header down by Badjevic fell at the feet of Vladic, who slipped the ball past the stranded Shilton." Franjo Vladić, 50'49:22
- Enver MarićEnver Marić.
Born 16th Apr 1948, Mostar.
- Petar KrivokućaPetar Krivokuća.
Born 12th Jun 1947, Rokci.
- Dragoslav StepanovićDragoslav Stepanović.
Born 30th Aug 1948, Rekovac.
- Miroslav PavlovićMiroslav Pavlović.
Born 23rd Oct 1942, Pozega.
- Josip KatalinskiJosip Katalinski.
Born 12th May 1948, Sarajevo.
- Blagoje PaunovićBlagoje Paunović.
Born 4th Jun 1947, Pusto Silovo.
- Ilija PetkovićIlija Petković.
Born 22nd Sep 1945, Knin.
- Jovan AćimovićJovan Kule Aćimović.
Born 21st Jun 1948, Belgrade.
- Dušan BajevićDušan Bajević.
Born 10th Dec 1948, Mostar.
- Franjo VladićFranjo Vladić.
Born 19th Oct 1950, Mostar.
- Dragan DžajićDragan Džajić.
Born 30th May 1946, Ub.
- Dragan HolcerDragan Holcer.
Born 19th Jan 1945, Zwiesel, Germany.
- Ljubiša RajkovićLjubiša Rajković.
Born 3rd Oct 1950, Nis.
- Disallowed Goal"England thought they had won this match midway through the second half when from Bell's corner and Blockley's header, Ball put the ball into the net. But there had been an infringement when it seemed Royle fouled the goalkeeper." Actually, Marsh was standing in a offside position directly in front of the goalkeeper.
- Player MilestoneMick Mills' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneFrank Lampard's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneJeff Blockley's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneMick Channon's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneJoe Royle's 1st Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- Official Match Programme
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "England lucky to hold rally", Thursday 12th October 1972, page 31.
- Italy Aurelio Angonese
- No change in rank, losing -5 ranking points to 1999 points England - 3rd
- Yugoslavia - 9th