Match No. 463 - Saturday, 27th May 1972, 3:00pm
- Bobby ClarkRobert Brown Clark.
Born 26th Sep 1945, Glasgow.
- John BrownlieJohn Brownlie.
Born 11th Mar 1952, Caldercruix.
- Willie DonachieWilliam Donachie.
Born 5th Oct 1951, Glasgow.
- Billy BremnerWilliam John Bremner.
Born 9th Dec 1942, Stirling.
- Billy McNeillWilliam McNeill.
Born 2nd Mar 1940, Bellshill.
17:15 Marsh raises a foot as Brownlie goes to head the ball and comes into contact with Brownlie's head. McNeil then pushes over Marsh and Brownlie aims a kick at him. Scotland are given the free kick but only McNeil is booked.
- Bobby MoncurRobert Moncur.
Born 19th Jan 1945, Perth.
- Peter LorimerPeter Patrick Lorimer.
Born 14th Dec 1946, Dundee.
- Archie GemmillArchibald Gemmill.
Born 24th Mar 1947, Paisley.
- Lou MacariLuigi Macari.
Born 7th Jun 1949, Edinburgh.
- Denis LawDenis Law.
Born 24th Feb 1940, Aberdeen.
- Asa HartfordRichard Asa Hartford.
Born 24th Oct 1950, Clydebank.
39:14 Kicking out at Storey after the Englishman blocks him off.
- Jimmy JohnstoneJames Connelly Johnstone.
Born 30th Sep 1944, Viewpark.
- Tony GreenAnthony Green.
Born 30th Oct 1946, Glasgow.
- Assist: Martin Chivers. "[The goal] arrived after 28 minutes when Bell took advantage of a terrible pass by Bremner to Gemmill, Chivers, put in possession, passed to Ball who steered the ball past Donachie and Clark. But it only just reached the net." Alan Ball8th of 8 goals. Right-footed from 7 yards., 29' 28:09
- Gordon BanksStoke City, 73rd of 73 caps
34 years, 4 months, 28 days
- Paul MadeleyLeeds, 8th of 24 caps
27 years, 8 months, 7 days
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 18th of 62 caps
24 years, 8 months, 30 days
- Peter StoreyArsenal, 8th of 19 caps
26 years, 8 months, 20 days
- Roy McFarlandDerby, 10th of 28 caps
24 years, 1 month, 22 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 96th of 108 caps
31 years, 1 month, 15 days
Left Half (c)78th captaincy
- Alan BallArsenal, 56th of 72 caps
27 years, 0 months, 15 days
Forward 14:38 A very late kick in the back of the legs for Bremner.
- Colin BellMan City, 20th of 48 caps
26 years, 3 months, 1 day
- Martin ChiversSpurs, 12th of 24 caps
27 years, 1 month, 0 days
- Rodney MarshMan City, 6th of 9 caps
27 years, 7 months, 16 days
- Norman HunterLeeds, 20th of 28 caps
28 years, 6 months, 29 days
- Malcolm MacDonaldNewcastle Utd, 3rd of 14 caps
22 years, 4 months, 20 days
- Match InfoA very feisty game. 24-22 to Scotland in the foul count according to the Guardian. A lot of pentualnt kicking and punching off the ball, it's remarkable the card count is not higher. Both Scotland yellow cards were for retaliation after Scotland had already won a free kick. So much so the referee calls the two captains together on the 19 minute mark to tell their teams to calm down. The second half is much more tame.
- Player MilestoneGordon Banks' Last Cap
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Only the claymores were missing", Monday, 29th May 1972, page 14.
- Italy Sergio Gonella
- No change in rank, gaining 14 ranking points to 2004 points England - 3rd
- Scotland - 25th