Match No. 455 - Saturday, 22nd May 1971, 3:00pm
- Assist: Martin Chivers. "...Chivers flicked the ball to Peters who nodded it wide of Clark. Greig, on the goal line, fisted the ball on against the crossbar whence it rebounded into play. Obviously a penalty but the referee signaled a goal believing perhaps that it served Greig right. Clark looked disgusted, and England very amused." Martin Peters18th of 20 goals. Header from 8 yards., 10' 9:27
- Assist: Franny Lee. "...Brogan, under pressure from Lee, was unlucky to see the ball break to Chivers whose shot with the left foot overwhelmed Clark." Martin Chivers4th of 13 goals. Left-footed from 20 yards., 31' 30:41
- Assist: Chris Lawler. "Shortly before half time, Moncur misjudged a through pass from Lawler, and Chivers made it 3-1." Martin Chivers5th of 13 goals. Right-footed from 15 yards., 43' 42:20
- Gordon BanksStoke City, 67th of 73 caps
33 years, 4 months, 22 days
- Chris LawlerLiverpool, 3rd of 4 caps
27 years, 7 months, 2 days
- Terry CooperLeeds, 17th of 20 caps
26 years, 10 months, 10 days
- Peter StoreyArsenal, 3rd of 19 caps
25 years, 8 months, 15 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 89th of 108 caps
30 years, 1 month, 10 days (c)71st captaincy
- Franny LeeMan City, 23rd of 27 caps
27 years, 0 months, 23 days
- Alan BallEverton, 51st of 72 caps
26 years, 0 months, 10 days
- Geoff HurstWest Ham, 45th of 49 caps
29 years, 5 months, 14 days
- Allan ClarkeLeeds, 6th of 19 caps
24 years, 9 months, 22 days
- "A minute later and Scotland were level. Ball's back header surprised Banks and Curran managed to touch the ball into the net." Hugh Curran, 12'11:16
- Bobby ClarkRobert Brown Clark.
Born 26th Sep 1945, Glasgow.
- John GreigJohn Greig.
Born 11th Sep 1942, Edinburgh.
- Jim BroganJames Andrew Brogan.
Born 5th Jun 1944, Glasgow.
- Billy BremnerWilliam John Bremner.
Born 9th Dec 1942, Stirling.
- Frank McLintockFrancis McLintock.
Born 28th Dec 1939, Glasgow.
- Bobby MoncurRobert Moncur.
Born 19th Jan 1945, Perth.
- Jimmy JohnstoneJames Connelly Johnstone.
Born 30th Sep 1944, Viewpark.
- Davie RobbDavid Thomson Robb.
Born 15th Dec 1947, Broughty Ferry.
- Hugh CurranHugh Patrick Curran.
Born 25th Sep 1943, Carstairs.
- Tony GreenAnthony Green.
Born 30th Oct 1946, Glasgow.
- Peter CormackPeter Barr Cormack.
Born 17th Jul 1946, Edinburgh.
- Frank MunroFrancis Michael Munro.
Born 25th Oct 1947, Broughty Ferry.
- Drew JarvieAndrew Jarvie.
Born 5th Oct 1948, Annathill.
- Peters GoalFrom a Ball corner Chivers heads on and Peters has a free header. Greig, who is on the near post, handles the ball on to the bar. A definate red card and penalty but the referee gives the goal anyway despite the ball never actually crossing the line.
- Curran GoalBall's headed backpass plays Curran on side and as Banks comes to collect the ball, Curran swings a right boot at the ball but misses. The ball ends up in the net and SHOULD have been a Ball own goal but it is officially credited to Curran.
- Goal DisallowedIn the second half (54:37) Chivers has a potential hat-trick disallowed for offside. The linesman thinking that Hurst got a head to Cooper's cross when he didn't.
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Chivers magnificent", Monday 24th May 1971, page 17.
- The Observer "The champion touch", Sunday 23rd May 1971, page 20.
- Netherlands Jef Dorpmans
- No change in rank, gaining 6 ranking points to 2039 points England - 3rd
- Scotland - 28th