Match No. 284 - Wednesday, 25th November 1953, 2:15pm
- Assist: Stan Mortensen. "It was Johnston, moving far up the field in a grand manner of an attacking centre half of old, who made the equalising goal after fifteen minutes. A neat forward pass to Mortensen was swiftly turned to Sewell who just squeezed his shot home from a tight angle." Jackie Sewell3rd of 3 goals. Left-footed from 12 yards., 15' 14:47
- "Mortensen was trying desperately hard with little support and was rewarded when sheer persistence and run of the ball enabeld him to force his way through alone and score from close range." Stan Mortensen23rd of 23 goals. , 38'
- "..an unnecessary whipping of robb's legs from under him gave Ramsey his customary Wembley goal from the penalty spot." Alf Ramsey3rd of 3 goals. , 60' 59:05 (pen)
- Gil MerrickBirmingham, 17th of 23 caps
31 years, 9 months, 30 days
- Alf RamseySpurs, 32nd of 32 caps
33 years, 10 months, 3 days
- Billy WrightWolves, 55th of 105 caps
29 years, 9 months, 19 days (c)40th captaincy
- Jackie SewellSheffield Wed, 5th of 6 caps
26 years, 10 months, 1 day
- George RobbSpurs, Only Cap
27 years, 5 months, 24 days
- "Within a minute Hungary had scored. After a throw-in Bozsik made a perfect short pass to Hidegkuti, who shot instantaneously from an angle fifteen yards out and left Merrick helpless." Nándor Hidegkuti, 1'0:42
- "A beautifully patterned move gave [Hidegkuti] a goal..." Nándor Hidegkuti, 20'19:56
- "...and then before half an hour had passed Puskas scored twice. The first was a wonderful goal. A move from the right, a short pass, and Puskas, with Dickinson right upon him, swivelled like lightning and smashed the ball in from an angle which gave him about a foot to ain at between Merrick and the post." Ferenc Puskás, 24'23:36
- "Three minutes later Bozsik from 30 yards drove a free kick low and viciously. The ball glanced off Puskas and again the denfece was motionless." Ferenc Puskás, 27'26:56
- "A fine header frrom Kocsis was flicked on to a post by Merrick and the ball went out to Bozsik, who from twenty yards drove home a superb unstoppable shot." Jószef Bozsik, 52'51:56
- "Then Puskas, a great artist, held the ball on the left until the defenders were in position before lobbing a perfect pass over thir heads to the exact point where Hidegkuti could meet it at top speed and smash it home." Nándor Hidegkuti, 56'55:15
- Gyula GrosicsGyula Grosics.
Born 4th Feb 1926, Budapest.
- Jenő BuzánszkyJenő Buzánszky.
Born 4th May 1925, Ujdombovar.
- Mihály LantosMihály Lantos.
Born 29th Sep 1928, Budapest.
- Gyula LórántGyula Lóránt.
Born 6th Feb 1923, Koszeg.
- Jószef BozsikJószef Bozsik.
Born 28th Nov 1925, Kispest.
- József ZakariásJózsef Zakariás.
Born 25th Mar 1924, Budapest.
- László BudaiLászló Budai.
Born 19th Jul 1928, Budapest.
- Sándor KocsisSándor Péter Kocsis.
Born 21st Sep 1929, Budapest.
- Nándor HidegkutiNándor Hidegkuti.
Born 3rd Mar 1922, Budapest.
- Ferenc PuskásFerenc Puskás.
Born 1st Apr 1927, Budapest.
- Zoltán CziborZoltán Czibor.
Born 23rd Aug 1929, Kaposvar.
- Sándor GéllerSándor Géller.
Born 12th Jul 1925, Vesszos.
- Hungary goal disallowedHungary have a seemingly legitimate goal by Hidegkuti chalked off after 11 minutes for offside. TV footage seems to suggest he was quite a few yards onside.
- Penalty: Alf Ramsey3rd scored from 3 taken (100.0%). England's 27th overall. "Alf Ramsey scored a penalty for England...after Robb had been brought down by Grosics..." Ramsey cooly side-foots the penalty into the bottom right corner.
- Player MilestoneAlf Ramsey's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneBill Eckersley's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneHarry Johnston's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneErnie Taylor's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneStan Mortensen's 25th & Last Cap
- Player MilestoneGeorge Robb's Only Cap
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- YouTube 1953 Friendly ~ England vs Hungary (Full Classic Match)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Anatomy of England by Jonathan Wilson (Orion 2010)
- Netherlands Leo Horn
- No change in rank, losing -18 ranking points to 2007 points England - 3rd
- Hungary - 1st