Match No. 227 - Saturday, 28th September 1946
- Norman Lockhart c. 70'
- Norman Lockhart c. 88'
- Alex RussellAlexander Russell.
Born 18th Jan 1923, Kells.
- Bill GormanWilliam Charles Gorman.
Born 13th Jul 1911, County Sligo.
- Tom AherneThomas Aherne.
Born 26th Jan 1919, Limerick.
Played for FAI and IFA
- Johnny CareyJohn James Carey.
Born 23rd Feb 1919, Dublin.
Played for FAI and IFA
- Jackie VernonJohn Joseph Vernon.
Born 26th Sep 1918, Belfast.
- Joe DouglasJoseph Patton Douglas.
Date of birth unknown, Belfast.
- Davy CochraneDavid Andrew Cochrane.
Born 14th Aug 1920, Portadown.
- Jimmy McAlindenJames McAlinden.
Born 31st Dec 1917, Belfast.
- Eddie McMorranEdward James McMorran.
Born 2nd Sep 1923, Larne.
- Peter DohertyPeter Dermot Doherty.
Born 5th Jun 1913, Magherafelt.
- Norman LockhartNorman H. Lockhart.
Born 4th Mar 1924, Belfast.
- Frank SwiftMan City, 1st of 19 caps
32 years, 9 months, 4 days
- Laurie ScottArsenal, 1st of 17 caps
29 years, 5 months, 5 days
- George HardwickMiddlesbrough, 1st of 13 caps
26 years, 7 months, 26 days
Left Back (c)1st captaincy
- Billy WrightWolves, 1st of 105 caps
22 years, 7 months, 22 days
- Neil FranklinStoke City, 1st of 27 caps
24 years, 8 months, 4 days
- Henry CockburnMan Utd, 1st of 13 caps
23 years, 0 months, 14 days
- Tom FinneyPreston NE, 1st of 76 caps
24 years, 5 months, 23 days
- Raich CarterDerby, 7th of 13 caps
32 years, 9 months, 7 days
- Tommy LawtonChelsea, 9th of 23 caps
26 years, 11 month, 22 days
- Wilf MannionMiddlesbrough, 1st of 26 caps
28 years, 4 months, 12 days
- Bob LangtonBlackburn, 1st of 11 caps
28 years, 0 months, 20 days
- Match InfoFirst match played after the Second World War.
- The First Ever England ManagerWalter Winterbottom's first game in charge.
- Hat-Trick: Wilf Mannion1st hat-trick (34th overall). 54 minutes between first and third goals.
- Player MilestoneFrank Swift's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneLaurie Scott's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneGeorge Hardwick's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneBilly Wright's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneNeil Franklin's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneHenry Cockburn's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneTom Finney's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneWilf Mannion's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneBob Langton's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneWilf Mannion's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneTom Finney's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneBob Langton's 1st Goal
- The Times "Association Football", Monday September 30th 1946, Page 2
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Scotland Willie E Webb
- Up 1 place, gaining 17 ranking points to 1978 points England - 3rd - 1
- Ireland - 31st