Match No. 226 - Wednesday, 24th May 1939, 6:00pm
- Dumitru PavloviciDumitru Pavlovici.
Born 26th Apr 1912.
- Rudolf BürgerRudolf Bürger.
Born 31st Oct 1908, Temesvar.
- Lazăr SferaLazăr Sfera.
Born 29th Apr 1909.
- Vintilă CossiniVintilă Cossini.
Born 21st Nov 1913, Constanta.
- Augustin JuhaszAugustin Juhasz.
Date of birth unknown.
- Rudolf DeményiRudolf Deményi.
- Cornel OrzaCornel Orza.
Born 9th Jan 1916, USA.
- Silviu PloeșteanuSilviu Ploeșteanu.
Born 28th Jan 1913, Craiova.
- Iuliu BodolaIuliu Bodola.
Born 26th Feb 1912, Brasso.
- Nicolae ReuterNicolae Reuter.
Born 6th Dec 1914, NULl.
- Ștefan DobayȘtefan Dobay.
Born 26th Sep 1909, Ujszentes.
- Shot from 5 yards. Len Goulden4th of 4 goals, 7'
- Assist: Frank Broome. "Welsh headed through from a well-placed pass by Broome." Don WelshOnly Goal, 53'
- Vic WoodleyChelsea, 19th of 19 caps
29 years, 2 months, 26 days
- George MaleArsenal, 19th of 19 caps
29 years, 0 months, 16 days
- Bill MorrisWolves, 3rd of 3 caps
26 years, 1 month, 29 days
- Joe MercerEverton, 5th of 5 caps
24 years, 9 months, 15 days
- Stan CullisWolves, 12th of 12 caps
22 years, 6 months, 30 days (c)1st captaincy
- Wilf CoppingLeeds, 20th of 20 caps
31 years, 9 months, 7 days
- Frank BroomeAston Villa, 7th of 7 caps
23 years, 11 month, 13 days
- Len GouldenWest Ham, 14th of 14 caps
26 years, 10 months, 8 days
- Tommy LawtonEverton, 8th of 23 caps
19 years, 7 months, 18 days
- Don WelshCharlton, 3rd of 3 caps
28 years, 2 months, 27 days
- Match InfoLast match before the outbreak of the Second World War.
- Match InfoThomas Whittacker was nominated as head coach but did not select the team.
- Match InfoPart of England's European tour which included Italy and Yugoslavia as well as Romania.
- Player InjuryAfter only four minutes Bürger "injured his foot in a tussle with Smith...When [he] came back on he had to go on the wing and this seriously weakened the Rumanian defence."
- Player MilestoneVic Woodley's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneGeorge Male's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneBill Morris' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Mercer's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneStan Cullis' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneWilf Copping's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFrank Broome's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneLen Goulden's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneDon Welsh's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneLeslie Smith's Only Cap
- Goal MilestoneDon Welsh's 1st Goal
- The Times "England beat Rumania", Thursday 25th May 1939, Page 6
- Belgium John Langenus
- No change in rank, gaining 4 ranking points to 1964 points England - 4th
- Romania - 40th