Match No. 222 - Wednesday, 16th November 1938
- Assist: Stanley Matthews. "The movement started in the English goalmouth; Willingham pushed the ball deliberately through to Matthews, and Matthews turned in and gave Lawton a through pass. So far the movement had been perfect, and Lawton, far from spoiling what had been so brilliantly begun, consumated it with a drive that gave Twoomey [sic] no sort of chance." Tommy Lawton4th of 22 goals. , 8'
- Assist: Stanley Matthews. "Matthews put over a centre which looked innocent enough, but the Irish defence faltered and Hall was able to shoot through." Willie Hall4th of 9 goals. , 36'
- "Almost immediately after the kick-off Hall scored again, this time from the inside-left position. His shot went low into the corner of the net" Willie Hall5th of 9 goals. , 38'
- "The ball came from the left, Twoomey [sic] came out, and before he was properly back and on his balance Hall had taken his third chance." Willie Hall6th of 9 goals. , 40'
- Assist: Stanley Matthews. "Matthews put the ball into the centre, and somehow or other Hall managed with his back to the goal to hook an awkwardly bouncing ball high into the net. An incredible goal" Willie Hall7th of 9 goals. , 55'
- Assist: Stanley Matthews. "A dribble by Matthews which beat two men and a perfect flick of a pass paved the way for Hall s fifth goal" Willie Hall8th of 9 goals. , 65'
- "He raced away, did the one thing an anxious defender did not want him to do, and shot through from an angle which looked impossibly acute." Stanley Matthews8th of 11 goals. , 75'
- Vic WoodleyChelsea, 15th of 19 caps
28 years, 8 months, 18 days
- Bill MorrisWolves, 1st of 3 caps
25 years, 7 months, 21 day
- Eddie HapgoodArsenal, 27th of 30 caps
30 years, 1 month, 22 days
Left Back (c)18th captaincy
- Ken WillinghamHuddersfield, 9th of 12 caps
25 years, 11 month, 15 days
- Stan CullisWolves, 8th of 12 caps
22 years, 0 months, 22 days
- Joe MercerEverton, 1st of 5 caps
24 years, 3 months, 7 days
- Stanley MatthewsStoke City, 14th of 54 caps
23 years, 9 months, 15 days
- Willie HallSpurs, 7th of 10 caps
26 years, 8 months, 4 days
- Tommy LawtonEverton, 4th of 23 caps
19 years, 1 month, 10 days
- Reg SmithMillwall, 2nd of 2 caps
26 years, 9 months, 27 days
- Jim TwomeyJames Francis Twomey.
Born 13th Apr 1914, Newry.
- Bill HayesWilliam Edward Hayes.
Born 7th Nov 1915, Cork.
- Billy CookWilliam Cook.
Born 20th Jan 1909, Coleraine.
- Tom BrollyThomas Henry Brolly.
Born 1st Jun 1912, Belfast.
- Walter McMillenWalter S. McMillen.
Born 24th Nov 1913, Belfast.
- Bobby BrowneRobert James Browne.
Born 9th Feb 1912, Londonderry.
- Davy CochraneDavid Andrew Cochrane.
Born 14th Aug 1920, Portadown.
- Alex StevensonAlexander Ernest Stevenson.
Born 9th Aug 1912, Dublin.
- Harry BairdHenry Baird.
Born 17th Aug 1913, Belfast.
- Peter DohertyPeter Dermot Doherty.
Born 5th Jun 1913, Magherafelt.
- Jackie BrownJohn Brown.
Born 8th Nov 1914, Belfast.
- Hat-Trick: Willie Hall1st hat-trick (33rd overall). 4 minutes between first and third goals which is still an international record. He added another two in the second half for good measure.
- Player MilestoneBill Morris' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Mercer's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneEric Stephenson's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneReg Smith's Last Cap
- Scotland Peter Craigmyle
- Up 1 place, gaining 9 ranking points to 1942 points England - 6th - 1
- Ireland - 27th