Match No. 223 - Saturday, 15th April 1939
- Jimmy Dougall, 20'
- Jerry DawsonJames Dawson.
Born 30th Oct 1909, Falkirk.
- Jimmy CarabineJames Carabine.
Born 23rd Nov 1911, Blantyre.
- George CummingsGeorge Wilfred Cummings.
Born 5th Jun 1913, Falkirk.
- Bill ShanklyWilliam Shankly.
Born 2nd Sep 1913, Glenbuck.
- Bobby BaxterRobert Denholm Baxter.
Born 23rd Jan 1911, Edinburgh.
- Alec McNabAlex McNab.
Born 27th Dec 1895, Greenock.
- Alex McSpadyenAlexander McCluckie McSpadyen.
Born 19th Dec 1914, Holytown.
- Tommy WalkerThomas Walker.
Born 26th May 1915, Livingston.
- Jimmy DougallJames Dougal.
Born 3rd Oct 1913, Denny.
- Alex VentersAlexander Venters.
Born 9th Jun 1913, Cowdenbeath.
- Jackie MilneJohn Vance Milne.
Born 25th Mar 1911, Stirling.
- "A move on the English left wing opened up the Scottish defence, and when the ball was finally pushed out to Beasley, Carabine missed his tackle and Beasley made no kind of mistake with his shot." Pat BeasleyOnly Goal, 67'
- Assist: Stanley Matthews. "Matthews sent across a perfectly calculated centre, Lawton got his head to it, and Dawson had no chance at all of saving." Tommy Lawton5th of 22 goals, 88'
- Vic WoodleyChelsea, 16th of 19 caps
29 years, 1 month, 17 days
- Bill MorrisWolves, 2nd of 3 caps
26 years, 0 months, 20 days
- Eddie HapgoodArsenal, 28th of 30 caps
30 years, 6 months, 21 day (c)19th captaincy
- Ken WillinghamHuddersfield, 10th of 12 caps
26 years, 4 months, 14 days
- Stan CullisWolves, 9th of 12 caps
22 years, 5 months, 21 day
- Joe MercerEverton, 2nd of 5 caps
24 years, 8 months, 6 days
- Willie HallSpurs, 8th of 10 caps
27 years, 1 month, 3 days
- Tommy LawtonEverton, 5th of 23 caps
19 years, 6 months, 9 days
- Len GouldenWest Ham, 11th of 14 caps
26 years, 8 months, 30 days
- Pat BeasleyHuddersfield, Only Cap
25 years, 8 months, 30 days
- Match InfoThe attendance for this match failed by 138 to beat the world record set in the same fixture two years previously. However, it still can be ranked as the second largest crowd to watch an international match in Europe.
- WeatherConditions were so atrocious both teams wore new shirts for the second half, England borrowing theirs from Queen's Park.
- Player MilestonePat Beasley's Only Cap
- Goal MilestonePat Beasley's 1st Goal
- The Times "England's success at Glasgow", Monday 17th April 1939, Page 5
- Ireland William R Hamilton
- Up 2 places, gaining 29 ranking points to 1971 points England - 4th - 2
- Scotland - 3rd