Match No. 171 - Saturday, 10th May 1930, 5:30pm
- Richard Hofmann, 21'
- Richard Hofmann, 49'
- Richard Hofmann, 60'
- Willibald KreßWillibald Kreß.
Born 13th Nov 1906, Frankfurt.
- Franz SchützFranz Schütz.
Born 6th Dec 1900, Offenbach am Main.
- Hans StubbHans Stubb.
Born 8th Oct 1906, Rüdesheim.
- Konrad HeidkampKonrad Heidkamp.
Born 27th Sep 1905, Dusseldorf.
- Ludwig LeinbergerLudwig Leinberger.
Born 21st May 1903, Nuremberg.
- Hugo MantelHugo Mantel.
Born 14th May 1907, Bovinghausen.
- Josef BergmaierJosef Bergmaier.
Born 5th Mar 1909, Munich.
- Josef PöttingerJosef Pöttinger.
Born 16th Apr 1903, Munich.
- Ernst KuzorraErnst Kuzorra.
Born 16th Oct 1905, Gelsenkirchen.
- Richard HofmannRichard Hofmann.
Born 8th Feb 1906, Meerane.
- Ludwig HofmannLudwig Hoffmann.
Born 9th Jun 1900, Munich.
- Assist: Vic Watson. "In the eighth minute Watson cleverly took the ball past several defenders and passed near the goal mouth to his inside-left, Bradford, who shot straight and true." Joe Bradford5th of 7 goals. , 8'
- "...Bradford again scored with a low, fast shot from 20 yards out, the best shot in the game." Joe Bradford6th of 7 goals. , 31'
- Assist: Sammy Crooks. "Jack, at inside-right, maintained the attack at high pressure, and 12 minutes before the end equalized after some fine passing in which the English forward line moved down the field with the ball.
As he approached the goal Jack passed out to Crooks, on the right wing, ran past the German left back, and received the ball back again from Crooks in the ideal position for heading into the net - a delightful goal." David Jack3rd of 3 goals. , 83'
- Harry HibbsBirmingham, 3rd of 25 caps
23 years, 11 month, 14 days
- Roy GoodallHuddersfield, 11th of 25 caps
27 years, 4 months, 10 days
- Ernie BlenkinsopSheffield Wed, 12th of 26 caps
28 years, 0 months, 20 days
- Alf StrangeSheffield Wed, 2nd of 20 caps
30 years, 1 month, 8 days
- Maurice WebsterMiddlesbrough, 2nd of 3 caps
30 years, 5 months, 27 days
- Billy MarsdenSheffield Wed, 3rd of 3 caps
28 years, 6 months, 0 days
- Sammy CrooksDerby, 2nd of 26 caps
22 years, 3 months, 25 days
- David JackArsenal, 6th of 9 caps
32 years, 1 month, 7 days
Inside Right (c)2nd captaincy
- Vic WatsonWest Ham, 4th of 5 caps
32 years, 6 months, 0 days
- Joe BradfordBirmingham, 10th of 12 caps
29 years, 3 months, 19 days
- Ellis RimmerSheffield Wed, 2nd of 4 caps
23 years, 4 months, 8 days
- Player Injury"Most unfortunately Marsden, the English left-half, was severely hurt, apparently in a collision with one of the English backs, early in the game. He played on, but at half-time was unfit to continue. He was taken to hospital, and the German Football Association is seeing to it that he has the best of care and treatment. The nature of his injury is not clear, but it is understood that the doctors are satisfied with his condition."
Sadly for Marsden, the Times was mistaken. It was quite a serious spinal injury. Marsden never played football again.
- Player InjuryJust after Bradford's opening goal "Blenkinsop was injured in a collision with the German inside right and had to retire for ten minutes."
- German GoalscorersOpinion is divided as to who scored the 2nd & 3rd German goals. With two Hoffman forwards on the pitch it's hardly suprising.
The Times states that "...inside-left, [Richard] Hoffmann, of Dresden, who scored all their three goals..."
whilst The Observer says "...[Ludwig] Hoffman of Munich the outside left added his second and Germany's third."
Also, many contemporary newspapers reprinted an error regarding the German lineup. Players such as Georg Knoepfle, Hans Brunke, Heinrich Weber, Josef Hornauer are listed but must have presumably been reserves.
- Player MilestoneBilly Marsden's Last Cap
- The Times "Drawn match in Berlin", Monday 12th May 1930, page 6.
- The Observer "Enthusiasm in Berlin", Sunday 11th May 1930.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- British Pathe Newsreel
- Netherlands Johannes Mutters
- Up 2 places, losing -1 ranking points to 1965 points England - 3rd - 2
- Germany - 12th