Match No. 167 - Wednesday, 15th May 1929
- Gaspar Rubio, 35'
- Jaime Lazcano, 39'
- Gaspar Rubio, 79'
- Seve Goiburu, 82'
- Ricardo ZamoraRicardo Zamora Martínez.
Born 21st Jan 1901, Barcelona.
- Félix QuesadaFélix Quesada Mas.
Born 1st Jul 1902.
- Jacinto QuincocesJacinto Francisco Fernández de Quincoces y López de Arbina.
Born 17th Jul 1905, Barakaldo.
- Pachuco PratsManuel Prats Guerendiain.
Born 1st Jan 1902.
- Martín MarculetaMartin Marculeta Barbería.
Born 24th Sep 1907, San Sebastian.
- José María PeñaAnacleto José María Peña Salegui.
Born 19th Apr 1895.
- Jaime LazcanoJaime Lazcano.
Born 30th Dec 1909, Pamplona.
- Seve GoiburuSeveriano Goiburu Lopetegi.
Born 8th Nov 1906, Pamplona.
- Gaspar RubioGaspar Rubio Meliá.
Born 14th Dec 1907.
- José PadrónJosé Padrón Martín.
Born 5th May 1906, Las Palmas.
- Mariano YurritaMariano Yurrita Llorente.
Born 11th May 1904, Alza.
- Assist: Hughie Adcock. "The first goal was scored by England after 15 minutes play. Carter, playing at inside left, took full advantage of a miskick by Zamora during a melee in front of the Spanish goal and netted." Joe Carter3rd of 4 goals, 15'
- "Five minutes later the visitors went further ahead. There was another melee in front of the Spanish goal and Bradford, the english centre-forward, got his head to the ball and the Spanish goalkeeper failed to stop the shot." Joe Bradford4th of 7 goals, 20'
- "Twenty-eight minutes from the resumption the vistors were awarded a penalty. This was taken by Carter, who put his side ahead." Joe Carter4th of 4 goals, 73' (pen)
- Ted HuftonWest Ham, 6th of 6 caps
36 years, 5 months, 20 days
- Tom CooperDerby, 7th of 15 caps
25 years, 4 months, 14 days
- Fred KeanBolton, 9th of 9 caps
30 years, 5 months, 5 days
- Jack HillNewcastle Utd, 11th of 11 caps
32 years, 2 months, 13 days (c)8th captaincy
- Joe PeacockMiddlesbrough, 3rd of 3 caps
32 years, 2 months, 0 days
- Edgar KailDulwich, 3rd of 3 caps
28 years, 5 months, 19 days
- Joe BradfordBirmingham, 7th of 12 caps
28 years, 3 months, 24 days
- Joe CarterWBA, 3rd of 3 caps
29 years, 9 months, 19 days
- Len BarryLeicester, 5th of 5 caps
27 years, 6 months, 19 days
- Match InfoAfter Spain's equaliser "...the crowd surged over the rails and rushed on the ground in an endeavour to reach the scorer and embrace him. They were followed by a company of Civic Guards with drawn swords, who cleared the pitch with difficulty after some minutes interruption."
- First Defeat AbroadThe first defeat on the continent by England.
- Penalty: Joe Carter1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 12th overall.
- Player MilestoneTed Hufton's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneFred Kean's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJack Hill's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Peacock's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneEdgar Kail's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJoe Carter's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneLen Barry's Last Cap
- The Times "England beaten in Madrid", Thursday 16th May 1929, page 7.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- Press Association "England Beaten in Spain", Thursday 16th May 1929.
- The Anatomy of England by Jonathan Wilson (Orion 2010)
- Belgium John Langenus
- No change in rank, losing -6 ranking points to 1858 points England - 10th
- Spain - 8th