Match No. 692 - Wednesday, 17th February 1993
- Assist: John Barnes. From a Gascoigne corner from the left, Barnes flicks the ball on at the near post and Platt beats his marker to head the ball down into the goal at the far post. David Platt13th of 27 goals. Header from 3 yards., 13'
- Assist: David Batty. Batty crosses the ball from the right wing to the far post. Platt beats the defender (and Ferdinand) to the ball and heads home from 2 yards almost on the left hand post. Whilst in the air the keeper seems to scoop the ball out before it has entirely crossed the line but the linesman gives the goal. A bit of a scuffle breaks out afterwards. David Platt14th of 27 goals. Header from 2 yards., 24'
- Assist: Les Ferdinand. A long ball, from the left, into the area finds Ferdinand central. He knocks the ball down for Platt who takes a great touch just before the keeper can get it and slots home from 5 yards. David Platt15th of 27 goals. Left-footed from 5 yards., 67'
- Assist: Les Ferdinand. Bonini gets into all sorts of trouble in his own half and the ball falls loose for Ferdinand who takes it to the right byline and crosses for Palmer to hit a thumping, sliding, diving header from 6 yards. Carlton PalmerOnly Goal. Header from 6 yards., 76'
- Assist: Lee Dixon. After a long ball into the area finds Adams to the left of the goal by the byline he turns and crosses which is feebly headed away. It falls for Dixon on the edge of the area who hits a shot which Platt deflects past the wrong footed keeper. David Platt16th of 27 goals. Left-footed from 5 yards., 83'
- Assist: Tony Adams. Dixon's cross from the right byline finds Adams at the far post 6 yards out. He beats several defenders and sends a looping header over the keeper and hits the bar. The ball seems to bounce over the line but on its rebound Ferdinand is at hand to head it home. The ball does cross the line from Adams header but Ferdinand is awarded the goal. Les Ferdinand1st of 5 goals. Header from 3 yards., 86'
- Chris WoodsSheffield Wed, 38th of 43 caps
33 years, 3 months, 3 days
- Lee DixonArsenal, 16th of 22 caps
28 years, 11 month, 0 days
- Tony DorigoLeeds, 11th of 15 caps
27 years, 1 month, 17 days
- Carlton PalmerSheffield Wed, 11th of 18 caps
27 years, 2 months, 12 days
- Des WalkerSampdoria, 51st of 59 caps
27 years, 2 months, 21 day
- Tony AdamsArsenal, 22nd of 66 caps
26 years, 4 months, 7 days
- David PlattJuventus, 36th of 62 caps
26 years, 8 months, 7 days (c)1st captaincy
- John BarnesLiverpool, 68th of 79 caps
29 years, 3 months, 10 days
- David BattyLeeds, 12th of 42 caps
24 years, 2 months, 15 days
- Pierluigi BenedettiniPierluigi Benedettini.
Born 18th Aug 1961, Murata.
- Bruno MuccioliBruno Muccioli.
Born 7th Aug 1960, Detroit, USA.
- Mirco GennariMirco Gennari.
Born 29th Mar 1966, San Marino.
- Loris ZanottiLoris Zanotti.
Born 13th Sep 1962.
- Claudio CantiClaudio Canti.
Born 24th Jan 1969.
- William GuerraWilliam Guerra.
Born 24th Feb 1968, Detroit, USA.
- Pierangelo ManzaroliPierangelo Manzaroli.
Born 25th Mar 1969, Rimini.
- Marco MazzaMarco Mazza.
Born 1st Jun 1963, San Marino.
- Nicola BacciocchiNicola Bacciocchi.
Born 16th Dec 1971, Domagnano.
- Massimo BoniniMassimo Bonini.
Born 13th Oct 1959, San Marino.
(c) 83' Dissent
- Fabio FranciniFabio Francini.
Born 6th Mar 1969, San Marino.
- Paolo MazzaPaolo Mazza.
Born 27th Oct 1961.
Not ot be confused with Paolo Mazza the Italian coach of the 1962 World Cup.
- Ivan MatteoniIvan Matteoni.
Born 21st Aug 1971, San Marino.
- World RankingsThe first match after FIFA adopted their world ranking procedure. England are ranked 5th but are not assessed again until August 1993.
- Missed Penalty: David Platt1st miss from 2nd taken (50.0%). England's 74th overall. Dorigo was brought down in the area by Manzaroli with only minutes left. Benedettini's fine save prevented Platt equaling Malcolm MacDonald's 5 goal tally set at Wembley 18 years previously.
- Hat-Trick: David Platt1st hat-trick (72nd overall).
- Player MilestoneLes Ferdinand's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneCarlton Palmer's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneLes Ferdinand's 1st Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- The Independent Four-goal Platt lifts labouring England
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Platt to the four as England finally come good", Thursday 18th Februrary 1993, page 16.
- Luxembourg Roger Philippi
- No change in rank, with no loss of ranking points to 1945 points England - 6th
- San Marino - 185th
World Cup 1994 Q
- San Marino