Match No. 523 - Wednesday, 24th May 1978, 7:45pm
- Assist: Kevin Keegan. "After ten minutes Keegan was allowed to trot forward to collect a long ball from Watson that the Hungarians had decided was going out of play, Barnes met Keegan's low cross with a half-hit shot but stillsent Gujdar the wrong way." Peter Barnes2nd of 4 goals. Left-footed from 10 yards., 11' 10:02
- "In the 32nd minute Keegan challenged the goalkeeper for Barnes's well-flighted centre to the far post and neither man reached the ball which ended up nestling in the arms of Toth. Neal scored with the penalty." Phil Neal2nd of 5 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 32' 31:59 (pen)
- Assist: David Watson. "Four minutes later Watson headed a free-kick from Brooking hard across goal and Francis, who had missed an easier chance earlier, headed a precise third for England." Trevor Francis2nd of 12 goals. Header from 6 yards., 36' 35:45
- Assist: Trevor Brooking. "In the 82nd minute Brooking laid the ball across the face of the penalty area and Currie ran in to score with a marvellous shot from 25 yards..." Tony Currie3rd of 3 goals. Right-footed from 22 yards., 82'
- Peter ShiltonNotts Forest, 25th of 125 caps
28 years, 8 months, 6 days
- Phil NealLiverpool, 13th of 50 caps
27 years, 3 months, 4 days
- Mick MillsIpswich, 19th of 42 caps
29 years, 4 months, 20 days
- Ray WilkinsChelsea, 15th of 84 caps
21 years, 8 months, 10 days
- David WatsonMan City, 34th of 65 caps
31 years, 7 months, 19 days
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 54th of 62 caps
30 years, 8 months, 27 days
Centre Back (c)17th captaincy
- Kevin KeeganHamburg, 37th of 63 caps
27 years, 3 months, 10 days
- Steve CoppellMan Utd, 7th of 42 caps
22 years, 10 months, 15 days
- Trevor FrancisBirmingham, 12th of 52 caps
24 years, 1 month, 5 days
- Trevor BrookingWest Ham, 23rd of 47 caps
29 years, 7 months, 22 days
- Peter BarnesMan City, 6th of 22 caps
20 years, 11 month, 14 days
- Brian GreenhoffMan Utd, 17th of 18 caps
25 years, 0 months, 26 days
Centre Back 85'
- Tony CurrieLeeds, 12th of 17 caps
28 years, 4 months, 23 days
- László Nagy, 62'
- Sándor GujdárSándor Gujdár.
Born 8th Nov 1951, Szentes.
- Péter TörökPéter Török.
Born 18th Apr 1951, Budapest.
- István KocsisIstván Kocsis.
Born 6th Oct 1949, Csorna.
- József TóthJózsef Tóth.
Born 2nd Dec 1951, Mosonmagyaróvár.
20:11 Scything down Coppell.
- Sándor ZomboriSándor Zombori.
Born 31st Oct 1951, Pécs.
- Zoltán KerekiZoltán Kereki.
Born 13th Jul 1953, Köszeg.
- László FazekasLászló Fazekas.
Born 15th Jan 1947, Budapest.
- Tibor NyilasiTibor Nyilasi.
Born 18th Jan 1955, Várpalota.
- András TörőcsikAndrás Törőcsik.
Born 1st May 1955, Budapest.
- Sándor PintérSándor Pintér.
Born 18th Jul 1950, Pomáz.
- László NagyLászló Nagy.
Born 21st Oct 1949, Buzsák.
- Károly CsapóKároly Csapó.
Born 23rd Feb 1952, Agyagosszergeny.
- Third England GoalThe free kick which precipitated the third goal came about by a long ball from England which caught out the entire Hungarian defence. Keegan was onside by being in his own half. Gujdar came out to meet him and handled to ball deliberately outside the area. In modern footbal it would have been a straight red. Gujdar doesn't even receive a yellow.
- Penalty: Phil Neal1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 61st overall. 11th minute. From a Barnes cross on the left Keegan seems to be fairly challenged for the ball at the far post by Tóth and Gujdár however, the referee blows for a penalty. On replay the ball does seem to strike Tóth arm as he jumped but it is harsh. Neal smashes the ball to the keepers left. Gujdár had no chance. Toth was lucky not to get red card having been previously booked.
- Player MilestonePeter Shilton's 25th Cap
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- Official Match Programme
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Wembley sighs for Argentina", Thursday 25th May 1978, page 20.
- France Rene Vigliani
- No change in rank, gaining 9 ranking points to 1995 points England - 4th
- Hungary - 13th