Match No. 517 - Wednesday, 16th November 1977, 7:45pm
- Assist: Trevor Brooking. Trevor Brooking crossed from the right for Keegan to head home. Kevin Keegan8th of 21 goals. Header from yards., 11'
- Assist: Kevin Keegan. Keegan slipped the ball through from outside of the box for Brooking to slot home. However, as soon as he crossed Benetti made contact and Keegan was injured and eventually substituted. Trevor Brooking1st of 5 goals. , 80'
- Ray ClemenceLiverpool, 33rd of 61 caps
29 years, 3 months, 11 day
- Phil NealLiverpool, 9th of 50 caps
26 years, 8 months, 24 days
- Trevor CherryLeeds, 15th of 27 caps
29 years, 8 months, 22 days
- Ray WilkinsChelsea, 10th of 84 caps
21 years, 2 months, 2 days
- David WatsonMan City, 28th of 65 caps
31 years, 1 month, 11 day
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 50th of 62 caps
30 years, 2 months, 19 days
Centre Back (c)13th captaincy
- Kevin KeeganHamburg, 34th of 63 caps
26 years, 9 months, 2 days
Midfield 41' Booked for pushing Tardelli after an entanglement.
- Steve CoppellMan Utd, 1st of 42 caps
22 years, 4 months, 7 days
- Bob LatchfordEverton, 1st of 12 caps
26 years, 9 months, 29 days
- Trevor BrookingWest Ham, 19th of 47 caps
29 years, 1 month, 14 days
- Peter BarnesMan City, 1st of 22 caps
20 years, 5 months, 6 days
- Stuart PearsonMan Utd, 13th of 15 caps
28 years, 4 months, 25 days
- Trevor FrancisBirmingham, 7th of 52 caps
23 years, 6 months, 27 days
- Dino ZoffDino Zoff.
Born 28th Feb 1942, Mariano del Friuli.
- Marco TardelliMarco Tardelli.
Born 24th Sep 1954, Capanne di Careggine.
- Claudio GentileClaudio Gentile.
Born 27th Sep 1953, Tripoli, Libya.
42' Foul on Peter Barnes from behind.
- Romeo BenettiRomeo Benetti.
Born 20th Oct 1945, Albaredo d'Adige.
31' Foul on Peter Barnes
- Roberto MozziniRoberto Mozzini.
Born 22nd Oct 1951, Sustinente.
- Giacinto FacchettiGiacinto Facchetti.
Born 18th Jul 1942, Treviglio.
- Franco CausioFranco Causio.
Born 1st Feb 1949, Lecce.
- Renato ZaccarelliRenato Zaccarelli.
Born 18th Jan 1951, Ancona.
- Francesco GrazianiFrancesco Graziani.
Born 16th Dec 1952, Subiaco.
- Giancarlo AntognoniGiancarlo Antognoni.
Born 1st Apr 1954, Marsciano.
- Roberto BettegaRoberto Bettega.
Born 27th Dec 1950, Turin.
- Claudio SalaClaudio Sala.
Born 8th Sep 1947, Macherio.
- Antonello CuccuredduAntonello Cuccureddu.
Born 4th Oct 1949, Alghero.
- Match InfoGoing into this match both Italy and England were level on points but the Italians were top due to a goal difference of four. This was England's last match of the qualifying campaign whilst the Italians had a game in hand against Luxembourg. The scoreline wiped out the goal difference but, Italy eventually beat Luxembourg 3-0. England had failed to qualify for the second successive World Cup Finals. They finish second behind Italy on goal difference.
- Player InjuryThe Italians were clearly targetted Keegan. Tardelli blatantly elbows Keegan in the face whilst they were both going for the ball, a crime the referee didn't see so Tardelli didn't even receive a caution. A few minutes later they both tangle again and Keegan pushes Tardelli, which ironically gets Keegan a yellow card. Later in the build up to England's second goal, as Keegan makes the assist, Benetti follows through deliberately and takes Keegan out. Keegan struggles on for another five minutes but is finally substituted.
- Player MilestoneEmlyn Hughes' 50th Cap
- Player MilestoneSteve Coppell's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneBob Latchford's 1st Cap
- Player MilestonePeter Barnes' 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneTrevor Brooking's 1st Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- Official Match Programme
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Hungary Karoly Palotai
- Up 5 places, gaining 28 ranking points to 1928 points England - 8th - 5
- Italy - 6th
World Cup 1978 Q