Match No. 459 - Saturday, 29th April 1972, 7:45pm
- Assist: Martin Peters. "It was a pity that England's goal a dozen minutes from the end should have resulted from a palpable foul by Ball in Wimmer. Bell took on the ball, gave it to Peters and when Maier could not hold his shot Lee ran the ball into the net." Franny Lee10th of 10 goals. Right-footed from yards., 78' 77:14
- Gordon BanksStoke City, 70th of 73 caps
34 years, 3 months, 30 days
- Paul MadeleyLeeds, 5th of 24 caps
27 years, 7 months, 9 days
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 14th of 62 caps
24 years, 8 months, 1 day
- Colin BellMan City, 16th of 48 caps
26 years, 2 months, 3 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 93rd of 108 caps
31 years, 0 months, 17 days (c)75th captaincy
- Franny LeeMan City, 27th of 27 caps
28 years, 0 months, 0 days
- Alan BallArsenal, 54th of 72 caps
26 years, 11 month, 17 days
- Geoff HurstWest Ham, 49th of 49 caps
30 years, 4 months, 21 day
- Rodney MarshMan City, 2nd of 9 caps
27 years, 6 months, 18 days
- "When Moore failed to clear one attack, Muller turned the ball to Hoeness, and whatever chance Banks might have had went when the German amateur's shot was deflected off Hunter." Uli Hoeneß, 26'25:54
- "So England were level until four minutes from the end whne Held collected crumbs of another broken attack, surged forward, and was upended by Moore. Banks had the cruellest of luck when he pushed Netzer's penalty kick agaisnt the post only to see it rebound back into the net." Günter Netzer, 85'84:41 (pen)
- "Then in the dying moments Hughes lost possession of the ball. Held gained it. Hoeness pushed on the ball to Muller - and a third goal completed a night Germany had waited some 70 years to celebrate." Gerd Müller, 89'88:50
- Sepp MaierJosef Dieter Maier.
Born 28th Feb 1944, Metten.
- Horst-Dieter HöttgesHorst-Dieter Höttges.
Born 10th Sep 1943, Mönchengladbach.
- Paul BreitnerPaul Breitner.
Born 5th Sep 1951, Kolbermoor.
- Hans-Georg SchwarzenbeckHans-Georg Schwarzenbeck.
Born 3rd Apr 1948, Munich.
- Franz BeckenbauerFranz Anton Beckenbauer.
Born 11th Sep 1945, Munich.
- Herbert WimmerHerbert Wimmer.
Born 9th Nov 1944, Eupen.
- Jürgen GrabowskiJürgen Grabowski.
Born 7th Jul 1944, Wiesbaden.
- Uli HoeneßUlrich Hoeneß.
Born 5th Jan 1952, Ulm.
- Gerd MüllerGerhard Müller.
Born 3rd Nov 1945, Nördlingen.
- Günter NetzerGünter Theodor Netzer.
Born 14th Sep 1944, Mönchengladbach.
- Sigfried HeldSigfried Held.
Born 7th Aug 1942, Freudenthal.
- Player MilestoneFranny Lee's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneGeoff Hurst's Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneFranny Lee's 10th Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Observer "England shown the way out", Sunday 30th April 1972
- The Guardian "Ramsey must experiment now", Monday, 1st May 1972, page 22.
- France Robert Helies
- No change in rank, losing -37 ranking points to 2002 points England - 3rd
- West Germany - 2nd