Match No. 409 - Saturday, 30th July 1966, 3:00pm
- Assist: Bobby Moore. Moore is fouled by Overath on the left. He takes the free-kick quickly and chips the ball into the area where Hurst is totally unmarked on the penalty spot. Unchallenged he simply guides the ball into the left of the net. Geoff Hurst3rd of 24 goals, 18'
- From a Ball corner, Schultz heads clear but only to Hurst on the edge of the box. Hurst shoots weakly and Hottges has a chance to clear but he slices his clearance high and wild. It drops into the centre of the box which Peters smashes with his right foot. Martin Peters2nd of 20 goals, 78'
- Assist: Alan Ball. A Stiles pass from the centre circle finds Ball on the right. Ball races onto it and sends a delightful cross into the centre of the area. Hurst, with his back to goal, allows the ball to bounce before taking a touch and turning to his left before smashing a rising shot towards the keeper. The ball beats Tilkowski and hits the underside of the bar before crashing down on the line. Was it over? Televison replays are inconclusive but Hurst could have easily have made sure by tapping the ball into the net, instead he wheeled away in celebration. Dienst consults with his linesman, a certain, Tofig Bakhramov from Azebaijan who confirms that the ball crossed the line. Geoff Hurst4th of 24 goals, 102'
- Assist: Bobby Moore. For the second time in the game Moore finds Hurst with a pinpoint pass. Following the breakdown of a last minute German attack Moore, from his own half, sets Hurst free and clear from the last defender. Hurst belts the ball into the top left corner. Geoff Hurst5th of 24 goals, 120'
- Gordon BanksLeicester, 33rd of 73 caps
28 years, 7 months, 0 days
- George CohenFulham, 30th of 37 caps
26 years, 9 months, 8 days
- Ray WilsonEverton, 51st of 63 caps
31 years, 7 months, 13 days
- Nobby StilesMan Utd, 20th of 28 caps
24 years, 2 months, 12 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 47th of 108 caps
25 years, 3 months, 18 days (c)30th captaincy
- Alan BallBlackpool, 14th of 72 caps
21 years, 2 months, 18 days
- Geoff HurstWest Ham, 8th of 49 caps
24 years, 7 months, 22 days
- Roger HuntLiverpool, 19th of 34 caps
28 years, 0 months, 10 days
- Martin PetersWest Ham, 8th of 67 caps
22 years, 8 months, 22 days 21' For shoving Overath after the German had stolen the ball from him.
- Helmut Haller, 12'
- Wolfgang Weber, 90'
- Hans TilkowskiHans Tilkowski.
Born 12th Jul 1935, Dortmund.
- Horst-Dieter HöttgesHorst-Dieter Höttges.
Born 10th Sep 1943, Mönchengladbach.
- Karl-Heinz SchnellingerKarl-Heinz Schnellinger.
Born 31st Mar 1939, Düren.
- Franz BeckenbauerFranz Anton Beckenbauer.
Born 11th Sep 1945, Munich.
- Willi SchulzWilli Schulz.
Born 4th Oct 1938, Wattenscheid.
- Wolfgang WeberWolfgang Weber.
Born 26th Jun 1944, Schlawe.
- Wolfgang OverathWolfgang Overath.
Born 23rd Sep 1943, Siegburg.
- Helmut HallerHelmut Haller.
Born 21st Jul 1939, Augsburg.
- Uwe SeelerUwe Seeler.
Born 5th Nov 1936, Hamburg.
- Sigfried HeldSigfried Held.
Born 7th Aug 1942, Freudenthal.
- Lothar EmmerichLothar Emmerich.
Born 29th Nov 1941, Dorstfeld.
- World Cup WinnersEngland win the World Cup.
- Hat-Trick: Geoff Hurst1st hat-trick (62nd overall).
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- englandstats.com Digital Archive
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Switzerland Gottfried Dienst
- Up 2 places, gaining 35 ranking points to 2080 points England - 1st - 2
- West Germany - 2nd