Match No. 408 - Tuesday, 26th July 1966, 7:30pm
- Assist: Roger Hunt. "In the 31st minute...[Charlton] scored his first. Wilson stabbed the ball through to where Hunt fashioned a shot. Pereira...decided to deal with this one by sliding, feet first, at it. The ball came back to Bobby Charlton who shot from 18 yards." Bobby Charlton39th of 49 goals, 31' (30:26)
- Assist: Geoff Hurst. "...Wembley exploded into raptures of delight after 79 minutes, to signal England's second goal. Hurst, again showing fine touches, had had a shot charged down. He retrieved the ball, and in a moment of quick thinking turned it back to where Bobby Charlton shot again from some 15 yards, smashing the ball past Pereira." Bobby Charlton40th of 49 goals, 79' (78:48)
- Gordon BanksLeicester, 32nd of 73 caps
28 years, 6 months, 27 days
- George CohenFulham, 29th of 37 caps
26 years, 9 months, 4 days
- Ray WilsonEverton, 50th of 63 caps
31 years, 7 months, 9 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 46th of 108 caps
25 years, 3 months, 14 days (c)29th captaincy
- Nobby StilesMan Utd, 19th of 28 caps
24 years, 2 months, 8 days
- Martin PetersWest Ham, 7th of 67 caps
22 years, 8 months, 18 days
- Alan BallBlackpool, 13th of 72 caps
21 years, 2 months, 14 days
- Geoff HurstWest Ham, 7th of 49 caps
24 years, 7 months, 18 days
- Roger HuntLiverpool, 18th of 34 caps
28 years, 0 months, 6 days
- "Jack Charlton in a desperate attempt to stop a header from Torres entering the net, pushed the ball out with his hand. And Eusebio scored his eighth goal of the tournament with the penalty." Eusébio, 82' (pen) (82:13)
- José PereiraJosé Pereira.
Born 15th Sep 1931, Torres Vedras.
- Alberto FestaAlberto Augusto Antunes Festa.
Born 21st Jul 1939, Santo Tirso.
- Hilário da ConceiçãoHilário Rosário da Conceição.
Born 19th Mar 1939, Lourenço Marques, Mozambique.
- Alexandre BaptistaJosé Alexandre da Silva Baptista.
Born 17th Feb 1941, Barreiro.
- José CarlosJosé Carlos da Silva José.
Born 22nd Sep 1941, Vila Franca de Xira.
- Jaime GraçaJaime da Silva Graça.
Born 30th Jan 1942, Setúbal.
- Mário ColunaMário Esteves Coluna.
Born 6th Aug 1935, Inhaca, Mozambique.
- José AugustoJosé Augusto Pinto de Almeida.
Born 13th Apr 1937, Barreiro.
- EusébioEusébio da Silva Ferreira.
Born 25th Jan 1942, Lourenço Marques, Mozambique.
- José TorresJosé Augusto Costa Sénica Torres.
Born 8th Sep 1938, Torres Novas.
- António SimõesAntónio Simões da Costa.
Born 14th Dec 1943, Corroios.
- Portugal Penalty"Jack Charlton in a desperate attempt to stop a header from Torres entering the net, pushed the ball out with his hand. And Eusebio scored his eighth goal of the tournament with the penalty."
- Player MilestoneRay Wilson's 50th Cap
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Bobby Charlton's goals put England in final", Tuesday, 27th July 1966, page 5.
- englandstats.com Digital Archive
- France Pierre Schwinte
- No change in rank, gaining 20 ranking points to 2045 points England - 3rd
- Portugal - 4th