Match No. 355 - Wednesday, 4th April 1962, 3:00pm
- "England were not as inspired as they should have been by a goal in the seventh minute. Haynes ran through brilliantly and shot and Fraydl, as much by accident as design, turned the ball against the post. There was a scramble before Crawford forced the ball into the net". Ray CrawfordOnly Goal. , 7'
- Assist: John Connelly. "Ten minutes before the interval Stotz's enthusiasm got the better of him in a tackle on Connelly and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. Flowers took it - and England were two up." Ron Flowers5th of 10 goals. , 35' (pen)
- Assist: Johnny Haynes. "...after a short corner in the 67th minute, Haynes placed the ball perfectly for Hunt to head a goal." Roger Hunt1st of 18 goals. Header from yards., 67'
- Ron SpringettSheffield Wed, 18th of 33 caps
26 years, 8 months, 13 days
- Ray WilsonHuddersfield, 8th of 63 caps
27 years, 3 months, 18 days
- Peter SwanSheffield Wed, 17th of 19 caps
25 years, 5 months, 27 days
- Ron FlowersWolves, 29th of 49 caps
27 years, 8 months, 7 days
- Roger HuntLiverpool, 1st of 34 caps
23 years, 8 months, 15 days
- Ray CrawfordIpswich, 2nd of 2 caps
25 years, 8 months, 22 days
- Johnny HaynesFulham, 49th of 56 caps
27 years, 5 months, 18 days (c)15th captaincy
- "Eight minutes later [after England's third goal] Busek went down on all fours and headed a spectacular goal from a centre by Hof..." Hans Buzek, 75'
- Gernot FraydlGernot Fraydl.
Born 10th Dec 1939, Graz.
- Heribert TrubrigHeribert Trubrig.
Born 1st Oct 1935.
- Karl StotzKarl Stotz.
Born 27th Mar 1927, Vienna.
- Erich HasenkopfErich Hasenkopf.
Born 20th Feb 1935.
- Rudolf OslanskyRudolf Oslansky.
Born 23rd May 1931.
- Karl KollerKarl Koller.
Born 8th Feb 1929, Holles.
- Adolf KnollAdolf Knoll.
Born 17th Mar 1938.
- Erich HofErich Hof.
Born 3rd Aug 1936, Vienna.
- Hans BuzekJohann Buzek.
Born 22nd May 1938, Vienna.
- Ernst FialaErnst Fiala.
Born 23rd Feb 1940, Vienna.
- Fritz RafreiderFriedrich Rafreider.
Born 24th Feb 1942, Dornbirn.
- Rudi FlögelRudolf Flögel.
Born 13th Dec 1939, Vienna.
- Penalty: Ron Flowers2nd scored from 2 taken (100.0%). England's 40th overall.
- Player MilestoneStan Anderson's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneRoger Hunt's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneRay Crawford's Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneRay Crawford's 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneRoger Hunt's 1st Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Daily Mirror "England whip Austrians - but fail to boost World Cup hopes" Thursday, 5th April 1962, page 30.
- The Guardian "England should have overrun this weak Austrian team", Thursday 5th April 1962, page 12.
- France Pierre Schwinte
- Down 1 place, gaining 9 ranking points to 1948 points England - 8th - 1
- Austria - 12th