Match No. 268 - Wednesday, 28th November 1951
- Assist: Eddie Baily. "...when Bailey was barged in the back unceremoniously Ramsey scored from the penalty-spot with an astute push shot into the corner." Alf Ramsey1st of 3 goals, 70' (pen)
- Assist: Alf Ramsey. "One of the many free kicks was admirably placed by Ramsey to the unmarked Lofthouse, who headed in neatly amid wild cheers." Nat Lofthouse5th of 30 goals, 76'
- Gil MerrickBirmingham, 2nd of 23 caps
29 years, 10 months, 2 days
- Alf RamseySpurs, 18th of 32 caps
31 years, 10 months, 6 days
- Billy WrightWolves, 39th of 105 caps
27 years, 9 months, 22 days (c)24th captaincy
- Jack FroggattPortsmouth, 4th of 13 caps
29 years, 0 months, 11 day
- Ivor BroadisMan City, 1st of 14 caps
28 years, 11 month, 10 days
- Eddie BailySpurs, 6th of 9 caps
26 years, 3 months, 22 days
- "Immediately after half-time Austria scored a simple but beautifully taken goal. A glorious long left-to-right pass by Ocwirk was met within the goal area by Melchoir, tearing in full tilt from the wing, no English defender was covering, and Merrick had no chance to save." Ernst Melchior, 47'
- "...a lovely back header by Stojaspal was entering the net when Eckersley saved with his hands. Stojaspal scored easily from the penalty..." Ernst Stojaspal, 88' (pen)
- Walter ZemanWalter Zeman.
Born 1st May 1927, Vienna.
- Rudi RöcklRudolf Röckl.
Born 12th Jan 1927.
- Ernst HappelErnst Franz Hermann Happel.
Born 29th Nov 1925, Vienna.
- Gerhard HanappiGerhard Hanappi.
Born 16th Feb 1929, Vienna.
- Ernst OcwirkErnst Ocwirk.
Born 7th Mar 1926, Vienna.
- Theodor BrinekTheodor Brinek Jr..
Born 9th May 1921.
- Ernst MelchiorErnst Melchior.
Born 26th Jun 1920, Villach.
- Leopold GernhardtLeopold Gernhardt.
Born 16th Mar 1920, Vienna.
- Dolfi HuberAdolf Huber.
Born 5th Mar 1923.
- Ernst StojaspalErnst Stojaspal.
Born 14th Jan 1925, Vienna.
- Alfred KörnerAlfred Körner.
Born 14th Feb 1926, Vienna.
- Penalty: Stojaspal"...a lovely back header by Stojaspal was entering the net when Eckersley saved with his hands. Stojaspal scored easily from the penalty..."
- Penalty: Alf Ramsey1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 25th overall. "Ocwirk brought down Bailey in the area and Alf Ramsey stepped up to score from the penalty." Ramsey side-foots the ball into the bottom right. The keeper doesn't move.
- Player MilestoneArthur Milton's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneIvor Broadis' 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneLeslie Medley's Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneAlf Ramsey's 1st Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- British Pathe Newsreel
- The Guardian "Austria draws at Wembley", Thursday 29th November 1951, page 3.
- Scotland John Mowatt
- No change in rank, losing -5 ranking points to 1968 points England - 4th
- Austria - 8th