Match No. 219 - Saturday, 22nd October 1938
- Dai Astley <10'
- Idris Hopkins c 30'
- Bryn Jones >45
- Dai Astley >45
- Roy JohnWilliam Ronald John.
Born 29th Jan 1911, Briton Ferry.
- Bill WhatleyWilliam Whatley.
Born 12th Oct 1912.
- Billie HughesWilliam Hughes.
Born 1865, Caernarfon.
- George GreenGeorge Green.
Born 12th Nov 1912.
- TG JonesThomas George Jones.
Born 12th Oct 1917, Queensferry.
- Dai RichardsDavid Thomas Richards.
Born 31st Oct 1906, Abercanaid.
- Idris HopkinsIdris Morgan Hopkins.
Born 11th Oct 1910, Merthyr Tydfil.
- Leslie JonesLeslie Jenkin Jones.
Born 1st Jul 1911, Aberdare.
- Dai AstleyDavid John Astley.
Born 11th Oct 1909, Dowlais.
- Bryn JonesBrynmor Jones.
Born 14th Feb 1912, Merthyr Tydfil.
- Horace CumnerReginald Horace Cumner.
Born 31st Mar 1918, Aberdare.
- "After 27 minutes a Welsh defender handled in the penalty area and Lawton placed the shot coolly out of John s reach." Tommy Lawton1st of 22 goals, 27' (pen)
- Assist: Tommy Lawton. "England struck back; a pass from Lawton sent Matthews away...He weaved his way into the centre, but the final shot he sent in with his left foot was half-topped and it looked as though John might have saved it had he been a little quicker in his dive." Stanley Matthews7th of 11 goals, 35'
- Vic WoodleyChelsea, 12th of 19 caps
28 years, 7 months, 24 days
- Eddie HapgoodArsenal, 24th of 30 caps
30 years, 0 months, 28 days (c)15th captaincy
- Ken WillinghamHuddersfield, 6th of 12 caps
25 years, 10 months, 21 day
- Alf YoungHuddersfield, 9th of 9 caps
32 years, 11 month, 18 days
- Wilf CoppingArsenal, 18th of 20 caps
31 years, 2 months, 5 days
- Tommy LawtonEverton, 1st of 23 caps
19 years, 0 months, 16 days
- Len GouldenWest Ham, 9th of 14 caps
26 years, 3 months, 6 days
- Wally BoyesEverton, 2nd of 3 caps
25 years, 9 months, 17 days
- Penalty: Tommy Lawton1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 19th overall. Third penalty awarded in third consecutive match. "After 27 minutes a Welsh defender handled in the penalty area and Lawton placed the shot coolly out of John's reach."
- Player MilestoneAlf Young's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneJackie Robinson's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneTommy Lawton's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneTommy Lawton's 1st Goal
- Match MilestoneEngland's 50th loss
- The Times "A win for Wales", Monday 24th October 1938, Page 6
- Ireland William Hamilton
- Down 3 places, losing -32 ranking points to 1927 points England - 7th - 3
- Wales - 9th