Match No. 217 - Saturday, 21st May 1938
- Georges Aeby, 30'
- André Abegglen, 73' (pen)
- Willy HuberWilhelm Huber.
Born 17th Dec 1913, Zurich.
- Severino MinelliSeverino Minelli.
Born 6th Sep 1909, Küsnacht.
- August LehmannAugust Lehmann.
Born 26th Jan 1909, Zurich.
- Hermann SpringerHermann Springer.
Born 4th Dec 1908, Zurich.
- Sirio VernatiSirio Vernati.
Born 12th May 1907, Zurich.
- Ernst LörtscherErnst Lörtscher.
Born 15th Mar 1913, Bucharest, Romania.
- Lauro AmadòLauro Amadò.
Born 3rd Mar 1912, Lugano.
- Eugen WalaschekEugen Walaschek.
Born 20th Jun 1917, Moscow, Russia.
- Alfred BickelAlfred Bickel.
Born 12th May 1918, Eppstein, Germany.
- André AbegglenAndré Abegglen.
Born 7th Mar 1909, Neuchatel.
Brother of Max Abegglen.
- Georges AebyGeorges Aeby.
Born 21st Sep 1913, Fribourg.
- "...one of the Swiss defenders was adjudged...to have illegally tackled Robinson...as he was going through. The kick was taken by Bastin who made no mistake." Cliff Bastin11th of 12 goals. , 33' (pen)
- Vic WoodleyChelsea, 10th of 19 caps
28 years, 2 months, 23 days
- Eddie HapgoodArsenal, 22nd of 30 caps
29 years, 7 months, 27 days (c)13th captaincy
- Ken WillinghamHuddersfield, 4th of 12 caps
25 years, 5 months, 20 days
- Alf YoungHuddersfield, 7th of 9 caps
32 years, 6 months, 17 days
- Don WelshCharlton, 2nd of 3 caps
27 years, 2 months, 24 days
- Frank BroomeAston Villa, 2nd of 7 caps
22 years, 11 month, 10 days
- Len GouldenWest Ham, 7th of 14 caps
25 years, 10 months, 5 days
- Cliff BastinArsenal, 20th of 21 caps
26 years, 2 months, 7 days
- Match InfoPart of a continental tour to Germany, Switzerland & France.
- Match Info"The game was started in the novel way of the ball being dropped from an aeroplane. The pilot's aim was unerring and the ball fell accurately in the centre of the field."
- Penalty: Cliff Bastin1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 17th overall. "...one of the Swiss defenders was adjudged...to have illegally tackled Robinson...as he was going through. The kick was taken by Bastin who made no mistake."
- The Times "England beaten by Switzerland", Monday 23rd May 1938, Page 6
- Western Daily Press "England's soccer prestige goes down with a bump!" Monday 23rd May 1938, page 10.
- England Committee
- Switzerland Technical Commission
- Germany Dr Peco Bauwens
- Down 1 place, losing -16 ranking points to 1952 points England - 4th - 1
- Switzerland - 23rd