Match No. 162 - Monday, 22nd October 1928
- Assist: Jimmy Ruffell. "England took the lead, Hulme shooting through from a pass by Ruffell." Joe Hulme2nd of 4 goals. , 26'
- "Dean scored ther winning goal near the end." Dixie Dean17th of 18 goals. , 77'
- Jack HackingOldham, 1st of 3 caps
30 years, 10 months, 0 days
- Tom CooperDerby, 2nd of 15 caps
24 years, 9 months, 21 day
- Ernie BlenkinsopSheffield Wed, 3rd of 26 caps
26 years, 6 months, 2 days
- Willis EdwardsLeeds, 12th of 16 caps
25 years, 5 months, 24 days
Right Half (c)1st captaincy
- Jim BarrettWest Ham, Only Cap
21 years, 9 months, 3 days
- Aussie CampbellBlackburn, 1st of 8 caps
27 years, 5 months, 17 days
- Joe HulmeArsenal, 7th of 9 caps
24 years, 1 month, 27 days
- Ernie HineLeicester, 1st of 6 caps
27 years, 6 months, 13 days
- Dixie DeanEverton, 11th of 16 caps
21 years, 9 months, 0 days
- Joe BradfordBirmingham, 4th of 12 caps
27 years, 9 months, 0 days
- Jimmy RuffellWest Ham, 3rd of 6 caps
28 years, 2 months, 14 days
- Joe Bambrick
- Elisha ScottElisha Scott.
Born 24th Aug 1893, Belfast.
- Andy McCluggageAndrew McCluggage.
Born 1st Sep 1900, Larne.
- Bob HamiltonRobert Templeton Hamilton.
Born 11th Nov 1903, Newry.
- Sam IrvingSamuel Johnstone Irving.
Born 28th Aug 1893, Belfast.
- Tom SloanThomas Milne Sloan.
Born 23rd Sep 1898, Belfast.
- Gerry MorganFrancis Gerard Morgan.
Born 25th Jul 1899, Belfast.
- Jimmy ChambersRobert James Chambers.
Born 26th Jul 1908, Mullaghglass.
- Bobby IrvineRobert William Irvine.
Born 29th Apr 1900, Lisburn.
- Joe BambrickJoseph Gardiner Absolom Bambrick.
Born 3rd Nov 1905, Belfast.
- Billy GillespieWilliam Ballintrae Gillespie.
Born 6th Aug 1891, Kerrykeel.
- Jackie MahoodJohn Mahood.
Born 12th Mar 1898, Banbridge.
- Player InjuryJim Barrett was injured after only 4 minutes and England continued with only ten men. "In making a great drive with his left foot Barratt [sic] twisted his left knee, and was unable to take any further part in the game. It is feared that he misplaced a martilage [sic]." England played out the rest of the match with ten men.
- Missed Penalty: Dixie Dean1st miss from 1st taken (0.0%). England's 10th overall. With the scores at 0-0, "[Scott]... stopped a penalty shot by Dean awarded when McCluggage knocked down [with his hands] a cross pass from Ruffell. Dean drove the ball with tremendous force, and when the goalkeeper flung out his hands and pushed it away, the centre forward threw up his arms in amazement." It was the fourth consecutive penalty miss for England.
- Player MilestoneJack Hacking's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneJim Barrett's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneAussie Campbell's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneErnie Hine's 1st Cap
- Hull Daily Mail "Ireland Outclassed", Tuesday 23rd october 1928, page 9.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade (Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co. 2013)
- Wales Evan Charles Sambrooke
- Up 2 places, gaining 10 ranking points to 1826 points England - 10th - 2
- Ireland - 19th