Match No. 543 - Saturday, 31st May 1980
- Gary Cole, 88' (pen)
- Greg WoodhouseGreg Woodhouse.
Born 2nd Jan 1960, Australia.
- Steve PerrySteve Perry.
Born 5th May 1954, Australia.
- Jim MuirJim Muir.
Born 30th Jan 1949, Australia.
- Ivo PrskaloIvo Prskalo.
Born 2nd Feb 1948, Australia.
- Jim TanseyJim Tansey.
Born 8th Aug 1953, Australia.
- Tony HendersonTony Henderson.
Born 14th Jan 1954, Newcastle, Australia.
- John YzendoornJohn Yzendoorn.
Born 17th Sep 1955, Lincoln, England.
- Jimmy RooneyJames Rooney.
Born 10th Dec 1945, Dundee, Scotland.
- Mark JankovicsMark Jankovics.
Born 5th Apr 1956, Australia.
- Gary ColeGary Cole.
Born 5th Feb 1956, Australia.
- Ken BodenKen Boden.
Born 5th Jul 1950, Thrybergh.
- Peter SharnePeter Sharne.
Born 23rd Mar 1956, Australia.
- Theo SelemidisTheo Selemidis.
Born 27th Oct 1959, Australia.
- Assist: Paul Mariner. Alan Sunderland delivers an excellent pass from the right channel to Mariner on the edge of the area. Mariner lays the ball off for Hoddle to take a touch and hit a left-footed shot from just outisde the area beating Woodhouse at his far post. Glenn Hoddle2nd of 8 goals. Left-footed from 20 yards., 10' 9:53
- Assist: Terry Butcher. A long ball from Butcher in his own half finds Mariner level with the last defender on the edge of the area. He takes a first time shot, looping over the keeper from 18 yards. Paul Mariner3rd of 13 goals. Right-footed from 18 yards., 25'
- Joe CorriganMan City, 5th of 9 caps
31 years, 6 months, 13 days
- Trevor CherryLeeds, 26th of 27 caps
32 years, 3 months, 8 days (c)1st captaincy
- Brian TalbotArsenal, 6th of 6 caps
26 years, 10 months, 10 days
- Bryan RobsonWBA, 2nd of 90 caps
23 years, 4 months, 20 days
- Paul MarinerIpswich, 9th of 35 caps
27 years, 0 months, 9 days
- Glenn HoddleSpurs, 3rd of 53 caps
22 years, 7 months, 4 days
- Peter WardBrighton, Only Cap
24 years, 10 months, 4 days
- Match Classification The England team is generally thought of as a 'B' team selection (even by the Australian TV commentators). It was too close to the start of Euro '80 (twelve days before England's first match) for such a trip for the 'A' team to make. Further evidence is supported by the five debutant players. It is credited as a full international by both FAs.
- Player MilestoneFrank Lampard's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneBrian Talbot's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneRussell Osman's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneTerry Butcher's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneAlan Sunderland's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneDavid Armstrong's 1st Cap
- Player MilestonePeter Ward's Only Cap
- Player MilestoneBrian Greenhoff's Last Cap
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Australia Tony Boskovic
- Up 1 place, gaining 4 ranking points to 2033 points England - 3rd - 1
- Australia - 33rd