Match No. 540 - Saturday, 17th May 1980, 3:00pm
- "Wales drew level within three minutes of falling behind. Giles and Flynn sent in James, whose centre was nodded down by Walsh for Thomas to score. In fairness to England it should be pointed out that Neal, who had just strained a hamstring, was unable to challenge Walsh at the far post." Mickey Thomas, 19'18:48
- "After half an hour another shrewd ball from Flynn found James prancing to the byline and Walsh rose by the far post to head in; again he was unmarked but this time the defence, with Sansom on for Neal and Cherry moved to right-back, was only metaphorically hamstrung." Ian Walsh, 31'30:01
- "...but on the hour Thompson, plunging forward recklessly, sold himself cheaply to James who sprinted in from the wing, had a shot parried by Clements [sic] but followed up tigerishly to force the ball in off Lloyd who had been covering the near post with Sansom." Leighton James, 61'60:11
- "Five minutes later Giles escaped what appeared to be an attempted stranglulation by Brooking and a shot that would have gone wide was deflected past Clemence by the woebegone Thompson. Phil Thompson, 66'65:58 (og)
- Dai DaviesWilliam David Davies.
Born 1st Apr 1948, Glanaman.
- Paul PricePaul Terence Price.
Born 23rd Mar 1954, St Albans, England.
- Joey JonesJoseph Patrick Jones.
Born 4th Mar 1955, Llandudno.
- Peter NicholasPeter Nicholas.
Born 10th Nov 1959, Newport.
- David JonesDavid Jones.
Born 11th Feb 1952, Wales.
- Terry YorathTerence Charles Yorath.
Born 27th Mar 1950, Cardiff.
- Brian FlynnBrian Flynn.
Born 12th Oct 1955, Port Talbot.
- Leighton JamesLeighton James.
Born 16th Feb 1953, Loughor.
- Ian WalshIan Patrick Walsh.
Born 4th Sep 1958, St David's.
- David GilesDavid Charles Giles.
Born 21st Sep 1956, Cardiff.
- Mickey ThomasMichael Reginald Thomas.
Born 7th Jul 1954, Mochdre.
- Keith PontinKeith Pontin.
Born 14th Jun 1956, Pontyclun.
- Assist: Peter Barnes. "After 16 minutes Cherry collected Brooking's short corner on the left and after swerving past Walsh produced a cross from which Barnes's shot ricoche[t]ed into the net off Mariner." Paul Mariner2nd of 13 goals. from 1 yard., 16' 15:17
- Ray ClemenceLiverpool, 48th of 61 caps
31 years, 9 months, 12 days
- Phil NealLiverpool, 25th of 50 caps
29 years, 2 months, 25 days
- Phil ThompsonLiverpool, 22nd of 42 caps
26 years, 3 months, 27 days (c)2nd captaincy
- Larry LloydNotts Forest, 4th of 4 caps
31 years, 7 months, 11 day 26:29 Bringing down Giles clumsily after the Welshman had stolen the ball from him.
- Ray KennedyLiverpool, 15th of 17 caps
28 years, 9 months, 20 days
- Steve CoppellMan Utd, 22nd of 42 caps
24 years, 10 months, 8 days
- Glenn HoddleSpurs, 2nd of 53 caps
22 years, 6 months, 21 day
- Paul MarinerIpswich, 6th of 35 caps
26 years, 11 month, 26 days
- Peter BarnesWBA, 16th of 22 caps
22 years, 11 month, 7 days
- Kenny SansomPalace, 5th of 86 caps
21 years, 7 months, 21 day
- Ray WilkinsMan Utd, 30th of 84 caps
23 years, 8 months, 3 days
- Player InjuriesDavid Jones tweaks his knee turning in the 11th minute (10:46) and recieves lengthy treatment. He manages to make it until half time but is replaced during the interval. In the 17th minute (16:26) Neal does the same thing whilst trying to stop a Thomas cross on the left. He plays on but is seen hobbling around for the next few minutes and is badly out of position for the first Welsh goal. He is replaced soon after by Sansom at left back whilst Cherry moves to right back. In the second half Lloyd is clattered by Yorath in the 78th minute (77:12) and has to hobble off with an ankle sprain.
- Player MilestonePhil Neal's 25th Cap
- Player MilestoneLarry Lloyd's Last Cap
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "England's triumph exposes England's troubles", Monday 19th May 1980, page 20.
- Scotland Ian Foote
- Down 2 places, losing -50 ranking points to 2023 points England - 4th - 2
- Wales - 16th