Match No. 533 - Wednesday, 13th June 1979, 7:30pm
- "Austria went ahead in the 17th minute. The goal followed a quickly-taken short corner on the left, and as Jara swung the ball towards the heart of the English defence Pezzey hurled himself among them to head a marvellous goal." Bruno Pezzey, 17'
- "Midway through the first half [England] hesitated as the ball bounced of Keegan's leg and Jara and Kreuz sent in Welzl for Austria's second goal." Kurt Welzl, 28'
- "Five minutes before half time, however, England's cover was mercilessly swept aside as Jara sent Jurtin past Watson's lunge and Welzl, collecting the ball on the right, darted between Mills and Thompson to make the score 3-1." Kurt Welzl, 40'
- "Twenty minutes from the end, however, Pezzey struck once more, again catching England's defence flat-footed on the ground as he ran 30 yards to meet a free kick from Sara and headed down past Clemence..." Bruno Pezzey, 70'
- Friedrich KonciliaFriedrich Koncilia.
Born 25th Feb 1948, Klagenfurt.
- Robert SaraRobert Sara.
Born 9th Jun 1946, Oberlainsitz.
- Erich ObermayerErich Obermayer.
Born 23rd Jan 1953, Vienna.
- Bruno PezzeyBruno Edmund Pezzey.
Born 3rd Feb 1955, Lauterach.
- Ernst BaumeisterErnst Robert Baumeister.
Born 22nd Jan 1957, Vienna.
- Roland HattenburgerRoland Hattenburger.
Born 7th Dec 1948, Jenbach.
- Willy KreuzWilhelm Kreuz.
Born 29th May 1949, Vienna.
- Kurt JaraKurt Jara.
Born 14th Oct 1950, Innsbruck.
- Kurt WelzlKurt Welzl.
Born 6th Nov 1954, Vienna.
- Herbert ProhaskaHerbert Prohaska.
Born 8th Aug 1955, Vienna.
- Gernot JurtinGernot Jurtin.
Born 9th Sep 1955, Scheifling.
- Walter SchachnerWalter Schachner.
Born 1st Feb 1957, Leoben.
- Assist: Steve Coppell. "...immediately after the second Coppell chased the ball to the byline and with the defence thinking that it was going out, produced the centre from which Keegan rose well to head in." Kevin Keegan15th of 21 goals. Header from yards., 29'
- Assist: Kevin Keegan. "...England scored thier second goal in the 47th minute. This was a simple affair, Koncilia failing to hold a straightforward low shot from Keegan, and Coppell, ever alert for such opportunities, slipping the ball in." Steve Coppell5th of 7 goals. , 47'
- Assist: Steve Coppell. "In the 64th minute Francis held the ball well on the right, drawing defenders towards him, and then laid it into Coppell whose low cross found its way into a large space on the left hand side of the penalty area for Wilkins to complete a remarkable recovery." Ray Wilkins1st of 3 goals. , 64'
- Peter ShiltonNotts Forest, 28th of 125 caps
29 years, 8 months, 25 days
- Phil NealLiverpool, 20th of 50 caps
28 years, 3 months, 21 day
- Mick MillsIpswich, 26th of 42 caps
30 years, 5 months, 9 days
- Phil ThompsonLiverpool, 15th of 42 caps
25 years, 4 months, 23 days
Centre Back 16' Foul on Jara.
- David WatsonWerder Bremen, 44th of 65 caps
32 years, 8 months, 8 days
- Ray WilkinsChelsea, 24th of 84 caps
22 years, 8 months, 29 days
- Kevin KeeganHamburg, 46th of 63 caps
28 years, 3 months, 27 days
Midfield (c)15th captaincy Time Unknown
- Steve CoppellMan Utd, 16th of 42 caps
23 years, 11 month, 4 days
- Bob LatchfordEverton, 12th of 12 caps
28 years, 4 months, 26 days
- Trevor BrookingWest Ham, 31st of 47 caps
30 years, 8 months, 11 day
- Peter BarnesMan City, 14th of 22 caps
22 years, 0 months, 3 days
- Ray ClemenceLiverpool, 43rd of 61 caps
30 years, 10 months, 8 days
- Trevor FrancisNotts Forest, 15th of 52 caps
25 years, 1 month, 24 days
- Player MilestoneBob Latchford's Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneRay Wilkins' 1st Goal
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "Brave England's slip shows", Thursday, 14th June 1979, page 23.
- Belgium Alexis Ponnet
- Down 1 place, losing -11 ranking points to 2025 points England - 4th - 1
- Austria - 12th