Match No. 476 - Wednesday, 17th October 1973
- Jan Domarski, 57'
- Adam Musiał
- England fail to qualifyDespite injuring his hand in the first few minutes and being called a 'clown' on TV by Brian Clough, Jan Tomaszewski is inspired between the sticks and keeps England out - almost single-handedly - all night; the only shot he fails to stop is the penalty. England fail to qualify for the World Cup '74 finishing second behind Poland. Ramsey is allowed to continue as manager but there are plots in the FA and Fleet Street to oust him. Six months and two games later after a defeat to Italy and a draw in Portugal the knives are unsheathed and he is sacked.
- Penalty: Allan Clarke3rd scored from 4 taken (75.0%). England's 56th overall. Musiał brings down Peters on the edge of the box. Allan Clarke scores high to Tomaszewski's left as the keeper dives the wrong way.
- Player MilestoneNorman Hunter's 25th Cap
- Player MilestoneMartin Chivers' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneKevin Hector's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneAllan Clarke's 10th Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Vital Loraux
- England - 4th - 1
- Poland - 3rd
World Cup 1974 Q