Match No. 476 - Wednesday, 17th October 1973, 7:45pm
- Assist: Martin Peters. "Martin Peters was blantantly pushed in the penalty are and the referee awarded the spot-kick...Clarke cooly stepped up and easily beat Tomaszewski." Allan Clarke10th of 10 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 64' 63:28 (pen)
- Peter ShiltonLeicester, 15th of 125 caps
24 years, 0 months, 29 days
- Paul MadeleyLeeds, 15th of 24 caps
29 years, 0 months, 27 days
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 28th of 62 caps
26 years, 1 month, 20 days
- Colin BellMan City, 31st of 48 caps
27 years, 7 months, 19 days
- Roy McFarlandDerby, 21st of 28 caps
25 years, 6 months, 12 days
Centre Back 80:45 Pulling back Lato when through on goal. Really should have been a red.
- Norman HunterLeeds, 25th of 28 caps
29 years, 11 month, 19 days
- Tony CurrieSheffield Utd, 5th of 17 caps
23 years, 9 months, 16 days
- Mick ChannonSouthampton, 10th of 46 caps
24 years, 10 months, 19 days
- Martin ChiversSpurs, 24th of 24 caps
28 years, 5 months, 20 days
- Allan ClarkeLeeds, 15th of 19 caps
27 years, 2 months, 17 days
- Martin PetersSpurs, 64th of 67 caps
29 years, 11 month, 9 days
Midfield (c)3rd captaincy
- Kevin HectorDerby, 1st of 2 caps
28 years, 11 month, 15 days
- "...Gadocha sped towards goal, but as Hughes was drawn to the tackle the winger cooly laid it inside to where Lato and Domarski were alone. The pass found Domarski who wasted no time in hitting a wicked, low shot which decieved Peter Shilton and flew under the goalkeeper's dive." Jan Domarski, 57'56:34
- Jan TomaszewskiJan Tomaszewski.
Born 9th Jan 1948, Wrocław.
- Antoni SzymanowskiAntoni Jan Szymanowsk.
Born 13th Jan 1951, Tomaszów Mazowiecki.
- Jerzy GorgońJerzy Paweł Gorgoń.
Born 18th Jul 1949, Zabre.
- Adam MusiałAdam Musiał.
Born 18th Dec 1948, Wieliczka.
80:08 Tripping Bell.
- Mirosław BulzackiMirosław Andrzej Bulzacki.
Born 23rd Oct 1951, Łódź.
- Henryk KasperczakHenryk Wojciech Kasperczak.
Born 10th Jul 1946, Zabre.
- Grzegorz LatoGrzegorz Bolesław Lato.
Born 8th Apr 1950, Malbork.
- Lesław ĆmikiewiczLesław Ćmikiewicz.
Born 25th Aug 1948, Wrocław.
- Kazimierz DeynaKazimierz Deyna.
Born 23rd Oct 1947, Gdansk.
- Jan DomarskiJan Andrzej Domarski.
Born 28th Oct 1946, Rzeszów.
- Robert GadochaRobert Gadocha.
Born 10th Jan 1946, Krakow.
- England fail to qualifyDespite injuring his hand in the first minute (0:48) saving the ball from the feet of Clarke, and being called a 'clown' on TV by Brian Clough, Jan Tomaszewski is inspired between the sticks and keeps England out, almost single-handedly, all night - making at least eleven crucial saves - the only shot he fails to stop is the penalty. England fail to qualify for the World Cup '74 finishing second behind Poland. Ramsey is allowed to continue as manager but there are plots in the FA and Fleet Street to oust him. Six months and two games later after a defeat to Italy and a draw in Portugal the knives are unsheathed and he is sacked.
- Goal DisallowedEngland have the ball in the net for an equaliser within a minute but the referee had already blown for a foul by Clarke on Bulzacki.
- Penalty: Allan Clarke3rd scored from 4 taken (75.0%). England's 56th overall. Musiał brings down Peters on the edge of the box. Allan Clarke scores high to Tomaszewski's left as the keeper dives the wrong way.
- Player MilestoneNorman Hunter's 25th Cap
- Player MilestoneMartin Chivers' Last Cap
- Player MilestoneKevin Hector's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneAllan Clarke's 10th Goal
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian Thursday 18th October 1973, page 29.
- Belgium Vital Loraux
- No change in rank, losing -7 ranking points to 1990 points England - 3rd
- Poland - 4th
World Cup 1974 Q