Match No. 468 - Saturday, 12th May 1973, 3:00pm
- Assist: Alan Ball. "Within nine minutes [Jennings] had conceded a simple goal. Chivers's run was timed perfectly to meet Ball's free kick and though Jennings appeared to have moved with the header he let the ball slip through his arms in an elementary fashion." Martin Chivers9th of 13 goals. Header from 8 yards., 9' 8:36
- Assist: John Richards. "The winning goal came seven minutes from the end when Neill completely missed a through ball from Richards and Chivers clamly withstood challenges from defenders and goalkeeper before scoring with massive simplicity." Martin Chivers10th of 13 goals. Right-footed from 7 yards., 82'
- Peter ShiltonLeicester, 7th of 125 caps
23 years, 7 months, 24 days
- Peter StoreyArsenal, 13th of 19 caps
27 years, 8 months, 5 days
- David NishDerby, 1st of 5 caps
25 years, 7 months, 16 days
- Colin BellMan City, 25th of 48 caps
27 years, 2 months, 14 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 101st of 108 caps
32 years, 1 month, 0 days (c)83rd captaincy
- Alan BallArsenal, 61st of 72 caps
28 years, 0 months, 0 days
- Mick ChannonSouthampton, 3rd of 46 caps
24 years, 5 months, 14 days
- "...the penalty with which Ireland drew level after 22 minutes. Storey's challenge on the one-paced Morgan looked no more than obstruction but he had stopped him in similar fashion a few moments earlier which may have influenced Mr. Thomas, fussy and intrusive in this match, in his decision." Dave Clements, 23'22:06 (pen)
- Pat JenningsPatrick Anthony Jennings.
Born 12th Jun 1945, Newry.
- Pat RicePatrick James Rice.
Born 17th Mar 1949, Belfast.
- Dave CraigDavid J. Craig.
Born 8th Jun 1944, Comber.
- Terry NeillWilliam John Terence Neill.
Born 8th May 1942, Belfast.
- Allan HunterAllan Hunter.
Born 30th Jun 1946, Sion Mills.
- Dave ClementsDavid Clements.
Born 15th Sep 1945, Larne.
- Bryan HamiltonBryan Hamilton.
Born 21st Dec 1946, Belfast.
- Tommy JacksonThomas A. Jackson.
Born 3rd Nov 1946, Belfast.
- Sammy MorganSamuel John Morgan.
Born 3rd Dec 1946, Belfast.
- Martin O'NeillMartin Hugh Michael ONeill.
Born 1st Mar 1952, Kilrea.
- Trevor AndersonTrevor Anderson.
Born 3rd Mar 1951, Belfast.
- Match InfoTechnically this was a Northern Ireland home match but was switched to Goodison Park due to the ongoing Troubles in Northern Ireland.
- Player MilestoneDavid Nish's 1st Cap
- Player MilestoneColin Bell's 25th Cap
- Player MilestoneJohn Richards' Only Cap
- Goal MilestoneMartin Chivers' 10th Goal
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "England need a middle class", Monday, May 14th 1973, page 18.
- Wales Clive Thomas
- No change in rank, gaining 4 ranking points to 2011 points England - 3rd
- Northern Ireland - 28th