Match No. 461 - Saturday, 20th May 1972
- Gary SprakeGareth Sprake.
Born 3rd Apr 1945, Swansea.
- Peter RodriguesPeter Joseph Rodrigues.
Born 21st Jan 1944, Cardiff.
- Rod ThomasRoderick John Thomas.
Born 11th Jan 1947, Neath.
- Terry HennesseyWilliam Terrence Hennessey.
Born 1st Sep 1942, Llay.
- Mike EnglandHarold Michael England.
Born 2nd Dec 1941, Holywell.
43' Blantantly takes out Marsh as he goes past him. Lucky just to have his name taken.
- John RobertsJohn Griffith Roberts.
Born 11th Sep 1946, Abercynon.
- Terry YorathTerence Charles Yorath.
Born 27th Mar 1950, Cardiff.
40' Going in hard and late on Storey.
- Ron DaviesRonald Tudor Davies.
Born 25th May 1942, Holywell.
- Wyn DaviesRonald Wyn Davies.
Born 20th Mar 1942, Caernarfon.
- John ToshackJohn Benjamin Toshack.
Born 22nd Mar 1949, Cardiff.
- Alan DurbanWilliam Alan Durban.
Born 7th Jul 1941, Bridgend.
- Gil ReeceGilbert Ivor Reece.
Born 2nd Jul 1942, Cardiff.
- Assist: Colin Bell. "It was Hughes who scored the first goal after 25 turgid minutes of play. He intercepted a Welsh move, strode forward to give the ball to Marsh who passed to Bell. Sprake failed to hold Bell's shot and Hughes came gamboling up to pop the ball in the net." Emlyn HughesOnly Goal. Right-footed from 6 yards., 25'
- Assist: Malcolm MacDonald. "After the interval the Welsh hopes of a draw were ended in 30 seconds when England scored twice. The first of these came from a Storey cross. Macdonald headed the ball back for Marsh to volley in..." Rodney MarshOnly Goal. Right-footed from 17 yards., 69'
- Assist: Mike Summerbee. "..and the second came when Summerbee, who cruelly stretched the Welsh defence staying out on the flanks for much of the game, floated over a pass which Bell hooked past Sprake." Colin Bell3rd of 9 goals. Right-footed from 8 yards., 70'
- Gordon BanksStoke City, 72nd of 73 caps
34 years, 4 months, 21 day
- Paul MadeleyLeeds, 7th of 24 caps
27 years, 8 months, 0 days
- Emlyn HughesLiverpool, 16th of 62 caps
24 years, 8 months, 23 days
- Peter StoreyArsenal, 6th of 19 caps
26 years, 8 months, 13 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 95th of 108 caps
31 years, 1 month, 8 days (c)77th captaincy
- Colin BellMan City, 18th of 48 caps
26 years, 2 months, 22 days
- Rodney MarshMan City, 4th of 9 caps
27 years, 7 months, 9 days
- Welsh SubstitutionJohn Roberts came out for the second half but whilst warming-up felt he couldn't continue. Reece replaced him before the second half kicked off.
- Disallowed GoalsMarsh has the ball in the net on 55 minutes but he is adjudged offside. In the final few minutes Wyn Davis has a goal disallowed for offside too, unbeknowst to 50 or so Welsh fans who come on to the pitch to celebrate which results in a stoppage of 2 minutes.
- Quick Fire DoubleEngland's 2nd and 3rd goals are 54 seconds apart.
- Player MilestoneMalcolm MacDonald's 1st Cap
- Goal MilestoneEmlyn Hughes' 1st Goal
- Goal MilestoneRodney Marsh's 1st Goal
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "No test for Ramsey's men", Monday 22nd May 1972, page 20.
- The Observer "The clouds roll by for Marsh", Sunday 21st May 1972, page 28.
- Scotland Bill Mullan
- No change in rank, gaining 14 ranking points to 2026 points England - 3rd
- Wales - 40th