Match No. 446 - Sunday, 7th June 1970, 12:00pm
- Gordon BanksStoke City, 61st of 73 caps
32 years, 5 months, 7 days
- Tommy WrightEverton, 11th of 11 caps
25 years, 7 months, 17 days
- Terry CooperLeeds, 10th of 20 caps
25 years, 10 months, 26 days
- Alan MullerySpurs, 29th of 35 caps
28 years, 6 months, 14 days
- Brian LaboneEverton, 25th of 26 caps
30 years, 4 months, 14 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 82nd of 108 caps
29 years, 1 month, 25 days (c)64th captaincy
- Franny LeeMan City, 16th of 27 caps
26 years, 1 month, 8 days 31:20 Dangerous challenge on Felix.
- Alan BallEverton, 43rd of 72 caps
25 years, 0 months, 26 days
- Bobby CharltonMan Utd, 104th of 106 caps
32 years, 7 months, 26 days
- Geoff HurstWest Ham, 40th of 49 caps
28 years, 5 months, 30 days
- Colin BellMan City, 12th of 48 caps
24 years, 3 months, 8 days
- Jeff AstleWBA, 4th of 5 caps
28 years, 0 months, 25 days
- "Only one goal was scored, by Jairzinho, after an hour; but it was suffcient to remind England that they have never beaten Brazil in their own hemisphere." Jairzinho, 60'59:23
- FélixFélix Miélli Venerando.
Born 24th Dec 1937, São Paulo.
- BritoHércules de Brito Ruas.
Born 9th Aug 1939, Rio de Janeiro.
- Wilson da Silva PiazzaWilson da Silva Piazza.
Born 25th Feb 1943, Ribeirão das Neves.
- Carlos AlbertoCarlos Alberto Torres.
Born 17th Jul 1944, Rio de Janeiro.
- ClodoaldoClodoaldo Tavares de Santana.
Born 25th Sep 1949, Itabaiana.
- EveraldoEveraldo Marques da Silva.
Born 11th Sep 1944, Porto Alegre.
- JairzinhoJair Ventura Filho.
Born 25th Dec 1944, Rio de Janeiro.
- Paulo Cézar LimaPaulo Cézar Lima.
Born 16th Jun 1949, Rio de Janeiro.
- TostáoEduardo Gonçalves de Andrade.
Born 25th Jan 1947, Belo Horizonte.
- PeléEdson Arantes do Nascimento.
Born 23rd Oct 1940, Três Corações.
- RivellinoRoberto Rivellino.
Born 1st Jan 1946, São Paulo.
- Roberto MirandaRoberto Lopes de Miranda.
Born 31st Jul 1944, São Gonçalo.
- Save of the century?Gordon Banks pulls of a spectaular save from a header by Pele down to his right hand side [9:41]. Somehow he manages to turn the ball over the bar. It was Brazil's first attack having let England dominate. It was also Banks' first touch of the ball.
- Lee: Yellow cardIn the 32nd minute [31:10] Lee's diving head connects with Wright's cross and Felix can only parry it. As the ball runs free the goalkeeper scrambles to try and recover it and in doing so gets clattered in the head by Lee's left boot. It's a very dangerous tackle and in modern football it would certainly warrant a red card. Billy Wright on commentry notes "That's the difference between South American and English football, we go in on those balls, but South Amercians, generally, leave those balls alone.." Lee is carded [31:20]. There is a lengthy stoppage and play gets back underway a couple of minutes later [33:19]. However, barely 30 seconds pass [33:48] before Brazilian captain Carlos Alberto goes for the man instead of the ball and sends Lee flying. Retribution administered. Carlos Alberto is not carded.
- Tackle of the century?In the 65th minute [64:56] Bobby Moore executes a perfect tackle on Jairzinho in the England area. Following a break-up of an England attack a long ball allows Brazil to counter down the right in a two on two situation. Jairzinho collects the ball in his own half and runs at the defence. Moore tracks him all the way to the penalty area where he steps in to take the ball perfectly.
- Player MilestoneTommy Wright's Last Cap
- Player MilestoneBrian Labone's 25th Cap
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report
- The Guardian "Spark of genius beats England", Monday 8th June 1970, page 21.
- Israel Abraham Klein
- Down 1 place, losing -32 ranking points to 2045 points England - 2nd - 1
- Brazil - 1st
World Cup 1970