Match No. 406 - Wednesday, 20th July 1966, 7:30pm
- Assist: Jack Charlton. "England's first goal came in the fortieth minute when Greaves flicked over a high centre, J. Charlton headed the ball across the face of the goal, and Hunt turned the ball neatly into the net." Actually, Charlton's header had hit the post and ran across the goal line for Hunt to tap in. Roger Hunt14th of 18 goals. , 40' 39:24
- Assist: Ian Callaghan. "The second from Hunt was a header in the seventy-fifth minute. Simon lay injured as Callaghan centred and Hunt headed the ball into and out of Arbour's arms as the goalkeeper frantically tried to recover it." Roger Hunt15th of 18 goals. , 76' 75:39
- Gordon BanksLeicester, 30th of 73 caps
28 years, 6 months, 21 day
- George CohenFulham, 27th of 37 caps
26 years, 8 months, 29 days
- Ray WilsonEverton, 48th of 63 caps
31 years, 7 months, 3 days
- Bobby MooreWest Ham, 44th of 108 caps
25 years, 3 months, 8 days (c)27th captaincy
- Nobby StilesMan Utd, 17th of 28 caps
24 years, 2 months, 2 days 73:57 Rasing his arm tussling with Bosquier
- Ian CallaghanLiverpool, 2nd of 4 caps
24 years, 3 months, 10 days
- Martin PetersWest Ham, 5th of 67 caps
22 years, 8 months, 12 days
- Roger HuntLiverpool, 16th of 34 caps
28 years, 0 months, 0 days
- Marcel AubourMarcel Aubour.
Born 17th Jun 1940, Saint-Tropez.
- Jean DjorkaeffJean Djorkaeff.
Born 27th Oct 1939, Charvieu.
Father of Youri Djorkaeff
- Bernard BosquierBernard Bosquier.
Born 19th Jun 1942, Thonon-les-Bains.
- Marcel ArtelesaMarcel Artelesa.
Born 2nd Jul 1938, Pont-Sainte-Marie.
- Robert BudzynskiRobert Budzynski.
Born 21st May 1940, Calonne-Ricouart.
- Joseph BonnelJoseph Bonnel.
Born 4th Jan 1939, Florensac.
- Robert HerbinRobert Herbin.
Born 30th Mar 1939, Paris.
- Jacky SimonJacques Simon.
Born 25th Mar 1941, Omonville-la-Rogue.
- Philippe GondetPhilippe Gondet.
Born 17th May 1942, Blois.
- Yves HerbertYves Herbert.
Born 17th Aug 1945, Villers-Cotterêts.
- Gérard HausserGérard Hausser.
Born 18th Mar 1939, Strasbourg.
- Goals DisallowedEngland had the ball in the net twice more but both were ruled out for offside. Firstly, Greaves was practically in the net and very offside when he met a Peters headed knockdown from a Callaghan cross on the right in the 29th minute. However, the second was an effort by Bobby Charlton in the 66th minute, who was adjudged offside despite being two yards onside and behind the ball.
- Nobby's red mistIn the 55th minute (54:47) Stiles throws a punch at Herbin, however he is not cautioned but rather the referee, in the words of Kenneth Wolstenholme the BBC commentator, "has a sharp word" with Stiles. Later in the 74th minute, whilst chasing down a through ball, Stiles's right arm is raised again to Bosquier and the referee gets his notebook out (73:57). Just prior to England's second goal, Stiles clatters Simon from behind (75:01) leaving the frenchman prostrate whilst England score. Simon is eventually carried off the pitch and treated on the sidelines finally returning in the 82nd minute but is largely ineffective on the left wing as he can hardly walk!
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- French Football Federation
- The Guardian "Lively French team is frustrated by Hunt's goals", Thursday, 21st July 1966, page 13.
- englandstats.com Digital Archive
- Peru Arturo Yamasaki
- No change in rank, gaining 10 ranking points to 2004 points England - 2nd
- France - 27th
World Cup 1966