Match No. 278 - Sunday, 24th May 1953
- Carlos Rojas, 78'
- Sergio LivingstoneSerjio Roberto Livingstone Pohlhammer.
Born 26th Mar 1920, Santiago.
- Manuel ÁlvarezManuel Hernán Álvarez Jiménez.
Born 23rd May 1928.
- Rogelio NúñezRogelio Núñez Guajardo.
Born 6th Mar 1927, Santiago.
- Ramiro CortésSergio Ramiro Cortés Alba.
Born 27th Apr 1931, La Serena.
- Arturo FaríasArturo Segundo Farías Barraza.
Born 1st Sep 1927, Chile.
- Carlos RojasCarlos Rodolfo Rojas Rojas.
Born 2nd Oct 1928, Chile.
- Sergio ÁlvarezSergio Álvarez Pérez.
Born 14th Aug 1929.
- Atilio CremaschiAtilio Cremaschi Oyarzún.
Born 8th Mar 1923, Chile.
- René MeléndezRené Orlando Meléndez Brito.
Born 29th Dec 1928, Maria Elena.
- Manuel MuñozManuel Jesús Muñoz Muñoz.
Born 28th Apr 1928, Chile.
- Guillermo DíazGuillermo Díaz Carmona.
Born 25th Jun 1926.
- Assist: Ivor Broadis. "England scored first three minutes after the interval when T. Taylor, the Manchester United inside left and centre forward, scored...after a bout of passing between Berry and Broadis the ball reached Taylor, who scored with a high dropping shot in the left-hand corner." Tommy Taylor1st of 16 goals. , 48'
- Assist: Ivor Broadis. "N. Lofthouse of Bolton Wanderers, added a second goal in the sixth-eighth minute...he was unmarked and scored with his right foot from fifteen yards" Nat Lofthouse15th of 30 goals. Right-footed from 15 yards., 68'
- Gil MerrickBirmingham, 12th of 23 caps
31 years, 3 months, 29 days
- Alf RamseySpurs, 28th of 32 caps
33 years, 4 months, 2 days
- Billy WrightWolves, 49th of 105 caps
29 years, 3 months, 18 days (c)34th captaincy
- Tom FinneyPreston NE, 45th of 76 caps
31 years, 1 month, 19 days
- Ivor BroadisMan City, 6th of 14 caps
30 years, 5 months, 6 days
- Tommy TaylorMan Utd, 2nd of 19 caps
21 years, 3 months, 26 days
- Johnny BerryMan Utd, 2nd of 4 caps
26 years, 11 month, 23 days
- Player InjuryRojas was injured during the first half and only rejoined the game after England had scored their first goal.
- Chilean GoalSome sources state it was an Alf Ramsey own goal. However, the Guardian briefly reports "Just twelve minutes from the end Chile scored through one of their half-backs, C Rojas; the ball deflected into the net off another Chilean player."
- Goal MilestoneTommy Taylor's 1st Goal
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "England beats Chile 2-1", Monday 25th May 1953, page 8.
- Arthur Ellis
- No change in rank, gaining 6 ranking points to 2006 points England - 3rd
- Chile - 17th