Match No. 271 - Sunday, 25th May 1952
- "A minute later [after England's first goal] Huber equalised from a penalty against Froggatt." Dolfi Huber, 29' (pen)
- "...but after 42 minutes Dienst worked his way from just inside the half-way line to just inside the penalty area and shot past Merrick." Robert Dienst, 42'
- Josef MusilJosef Musil.
Born 7th Aug 1020.
- Rudi RöcklRudolf Röckl.
Born 12th Jan 1927.
- Ernst HappelErnst Franz Hermann Happel.
Born 29th Nov 1925, Vienna.
- Walter SchlegerProf. Dr. Walter Schleger.
Born 19th Sep 1929, Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Ernst OcwirkErnst Ocwirk.
Born 7th Mar 1926, Vienna.
- Theodor BrinekTheodor Brinek Jr..
Born 9th May 1921.
- Ernst MelchiorErnst Melchior.
Born 26th Jun 1920, Villach.
- Gerhard HanappiGerhard Hanappi.
Born 16th Feb 1929, Vienna.
- Robert DienstRobert Dienst.
Born 1st Mar 1928, Vienna.
- Dolfi HuberAdolf Huber.
Born 5th Mar 1923.
- Walter HaummerWalter Haummer.
Born 22nd Nov 1928.
- Assist: Eddie Baily. "...but after 28 minutes England scored rather against the run of play. Froggatt, Elliot, and Bailey took the ball along the left wing, and Bailey put across a short pass which Lofthouse drove hard into the corner of the net." Nat Lofthouse6th of 30 goals. , 28'
- Assist: Billy Wright. "Two minute later [after Austria's first] England led again." "Wright pushed the ball through to Sewell who, with a clever feint, wrong-footed Happel and shot brilliantly past Musil." Jackie Sewell1st of 3 goals. , 31'
- Assist: Tom Finney. "...with only eight minutes left for play..." "Like a flash the Preston plumber [Finney], whipped the ball forward for Lofthouse run to. Away went Nat, hell-bent for goal, with the Austrian defenders tolling hopelessly in the rear. Goalkeeper Musll came out narrow the shooting angle, but with superb control, Lofthouse side-footed the ball past him." Nat Lofthouse7th of 30 goals. , 82'
- Gil MerrickBirmingham, 5th of 23 caps
30 years, 3 months, 30 days
- Alf RamseySpurs, 21st of 32 caps
32 years, 4 months, 3 days
- Billy WrightWolves, 42nd of 105 caps
28 years, 3 months, 19 days (c)27th captaincy
- Jack FroggattPortsmouth, 7th of 13 caps
29 years, 6 months, 8 days
- Tom FinneyPreston NE, 38th of 76 caps
30 years, 1 month, 20 days
- Jackie SewellSheffield Wed, 2nd of 6 caps
25 years, 4 months, 1 day
- Eddie BailySpurs, 7th of 9 caps
26 years, 9 months, 19 days
- Match InfoNat Lofthouse's performance in this match earned him the nickname "The Lion of Vienna".
- Goal MilestoneJackie Sewell's 1st Goal
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Daily Herald "Lofthouse hero of soccer win. Austria beaten 3-2 despite referee", Maonday 26th May 1952, page 6.
- The Guardian "England defeats Austria", Monday 26th May 1952, page 8.
- Italy Giuseppe Carpani
- No change in rank, gaining 11 ranking points to 2006 points England - 3rd
- Austria - 8th