Match No. 750 - Tuesday, 30th June 1998, 9:00pm
- Assist: Michael Owen. "...the evening's second penalty brought the scores level four minutes later. Again Owen raced with Ayala, this time he was brought down [8:45], Shearer did the rest [9:48]." Alan Shearer20th of 30 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 10' 09:48 (pen)
- Assist: David Beckham. "Then, on the quarter-hour came one of those moments of which legends are made. Gathering a pass from Beckham, Owen tore for the middle of the Argentinian defence. Chamot was beaten for speed, Ayala could have only seen a blur of white and even Paul Scholes was shoved out of the way before Owen hooked England into the lead." Michael Owen3rd of 40 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 16' 15:29
- David SeamanArsenal, 44th of 75 caps
34 years, 9 months, 11 day 4:34 Booked for bringing down Simeone for the Argentinian penalty.
- Gary NevilleMan Utd, 30th of 85 caps
23 years, 4 months, 12 days
- Graeme le SauxChelsea, 29th of 36 caps
29 years, 8 months, 13 days
- Paul InceLiverpool, 43rd of 53 caps
30 years, 8 months, 9 days 9:11 Dissent. Remonstrating with the referee that the Argentines are holding up the penalty.
- Tony AdamsArsenal, 55th of 66 caps
31 years, 8 months, 20 days
- Sol CampbellSpurs, 20th of 73 caps
23 years, 9 months, 12 days
- David BeckhamMan Utd, 18th of 115 caps
23 years, 1 month, 28 days 46:13 "Beckham, flattened by Simeone's clumsy foul [45:37] and lying face down when he kicked out at his aggressor [45:51], is only the fifth England footballer to be sent off [46:13]."
- Darren AndertonSpurs, 22nd of 30 caps
26 years, 3 months, 27 days
- Alan ShearerNewcastle Utd, 43rd of 63 caps
27 years, 10 months, 17 days (c)14th captaincy
- Michael OwenLiverpool, 9th of 89 caps
18 years, 6 months, 16 days
- Paul ScholesMan Utd, 11th of 66 caps
23 years, 7 months, 14 days
- Gareth SouthgateAston Villa, 27th of 57 caps
27 years, 9 months, 27 days
- Paul MersonMiddlesbrough, 19th of 21 caps
30 years, 3 months, 10 days
- David BattyNewcastle Utd, 35th of 42 caps
29 years, 6 months, 28 days
- "In the fifth minute Ariel Ortega found Batistuta in space but not thinking of a shot. Instead he slipped the ball to Diego Simeone and appeared to have over hit it, but David Seaman, already committed to the rescue, was suckered into giving away a penalty by the wily Simeone, who simply waited for the goalkeeper to catch his legs. The strength Batistuta's penalty defied Seaman attempt to keep it out." Gabriel Batistuta, 6'5:29 (pen)
- "At the end of the half, sing an old free-kick ploy to excellent effect. Batistuta ran over the ball, leaving Claudio Lopez to find Javier Zanetti in space behind the wall. Seaman was beaten by a shot into the top far corner." Javier Zanetti, 45'45:36 +1
- Carlos RoaCarlos Ángel Roa.
Born 15th Aug 1969, Santa Fe.
120:00 Dissent. Complaining about how Paul Merson places the ball on the penalty spot during the shoot-out.
- Nelson VivasNelson David Vivas.
Born 18th Oct 1969, Granadero Baigorria.
- Roberto AyalaRoberto Fabián Ayala.
Born 14th Apr 1973, Parana.
- José ChamotJosé Antonio Chamot.
Born 17th May 1969, Concepcion del Uruguay.
- Javier ZanettiJavier Adelmar Zanetti.
Born 10th Aug 1973, Buenos Aires.
- Matías AlmeydaMatías Jesús Almeyda.
Born 21st Dec 1973, Azul.
72:59 Booked for bringing down Anderton on a charge through midfield.
- Diego SimeoneDiego Pablo Simeone.
Born 28th Apr 1970, Buenos Aires.
(c) 46:11 Simeone gets carded for fouling Beckham who petulantly kicks back.
- Juan Sebastián VerónJuan Sebastián Verón.
Born 9th Mar 1975, La Plata.
43:29 Late challenge on Michael Owen.
- Ariel OrtegaAriel Arnaldo Ortega.
Born 4th Mar 1974, Ledesma.
- Gabriel BatistutaGabriel Omar Batistuta.
Born 1st Feb 1969, Santa Fe.
- Claudio LópezClaudio Javier López.
Born 17th Jul 1974, Rio Tercero.
- Hernán CrespoHernán Jorge Crespo.
Born 5th Jul 1975, Florida.
- Marcelo GallardoMarcelo Daniel Gallardo.
Born 18th Jan 1976, Buenos Aires.
- Sergio BertiSergio Ángel Berti.
Born 17th Sep 1969, Villa Constitucion.
- David Beckham: Red Card"Beckham, flattened by Simeone's clumsy foul [45:37] and lying face down when he kicked out at his aggressor [45:51], is only the fifth England footballer to be sent off [46:13]."
- Campbell: Goal Not GivenSol Campbell has a goal struck off on 81 minutes [80:41]. On replay it's clear Shearer impedes Roa from collecting the ball to allow Campbell a free header.
- Argentina win 4-3 on Penalty Kicks
Sergio Berti scored. Low to Seaman's left who guesses right but it's out of his reach.
Alan Shearer scored. High into the roof of the net to Roa's right. No chance.
Hernan Crespo saved by David Seaman who dives to his left and palms the ball out at a nice height.
Paul Ince saved by Carlos Roa. Almost a carbon copy of the previous penalty. Comfortable for Roa.
Juan Sebastian Veron scored. Another carbon copy, this time of Shearer's penalty. High to Seaman's right; no chance.
Paul Merson scored. Similar to Shearer's and Veron's but wider and lower. Roa gets a hand to it.
Marcelo Gallardo scored. Low to Seaman's right who gets a hand on it too.
Michael Owen scored. High to Roa's left, it actually hits the post before going in. Roa was going the other way.
Roberto Ayala scored. Passed into Seaman's bottom left corner who goes the right way but it's beyond him.
David Batty saved by Carlos Roa. Easy height to Roa's right. All three penalties that were saved were poor. The others were top quality.
- Penalty: Gabriel Batistuta"In the fifth minute Ariel Ortega found Batistuta in space but not thinking of a shot. Instead he slipped the ball to Diego Simeone and appeared to have over hit it, but David Seaman, already committed to the rescue, was suckered into giving away a penalty by the wily Simeone [4:26], who simply waited for the goalkeeper to catch his legs. The strength Batistuta's penalty defied Seaman attempt to keep it out [5:29]."
- Penalty: Alan Shearer2nd scored from 3 taken (66.7%). England's 80th overall. 10th minute. "...the evening's second penalty brought the scores level four minutes later. Again Owen raced with Ayala, this time he was brought down [8:45], Shearer did the rest [9:48]."
- Match MilestoneEngland's 750th Match
- Denmark Kim Milton Nielsen
- No change in rank, losing -1 ranking points to 1968 points England - 7th
- Argentina - 9th