Match No. 750 - Tuesday, 30th June 1998, 9:00pm
- Assist: Michael Owen. Owen is fouled in the box by Ayala running across him. Shearer steps up and places it into the top left corner. Alan Shearer20th of 30 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 10' 9:48 (pen)
- Assist: David Beckham. Beckham deep in his own half plays a long ball to Owen who is level with the Ayala in his own half. Owen's speed and strength holds off Ayala and then rounds the last defender to slot the ball past the on-rushing keeper. Michael Owen3rd of 40 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 16' 15:29
- David SeamanArsenal, 44th of 75 caps
34 years, 9 months, 11 day 5' Booked for bringing down Simeone for the penalty. TV replays suggest Simone went down very easily.
- Gary NevilleMan Utd, 30th of 85 caps
23 years, 4 months, 12 days
- Graeme le SauxChelsea, 29th of 36 caps
29 years, 8 months, 13 days
- Paul InceLiverpool, 43rd of 53 caps
30 years, 8 months, 9 days 10' Dissent. Remonstrating with the referee that the Argentines are holding up the penalty.
- Tony AdamsArsenal, 55th of 66 caps
31 years, 8 months, 20 days
- Sol CampbellSpurs, 20th of 73 caps
23 years, 9 months, 12 days
- David BeckhamMan Utd, 18th of 115 caps
23 years, 1 month, 28 days 47' Violent Conduct. Beckham is sent off for an impetuous retaliatory kick at Diego Simeone after being fouled by the Argentinian.
- Alan ShearerNewcastle Utd, 43rd of 63 caps
27 years, 10 months, 17 days (c)14th captaincy
- Michael OwenLiverpool, 9th of 89 caps
18 years, 6 months, 16 days
- Paul ScholesMan Utd, 11th of 66 caps
23 years, 7 months, 14 days
- Paul MersonMiddlesbrough, 19th of 21 caps
30 years, 3 months, 10 days
- David BattyNewcastle Utd, 35th of 42 caps
29 years, 6 months, 28 days
- Gabriel Batistuta, 6'5:29 (pen)
- Javier Zanetti, 45'45:36 +1
- Carlos RoaCarlos Ángel Roa.
Born 15th Aug 1969, Santa Fe.
120' Dissent. Complaining about how Paul Merson places the ball on the penalty spot during the shoot-out.
- Nelson VivasNelson David Vivas.
Born 18th Oct 1969, Granadero Baigorria.
- Roberto AyalaRoberto Fabián Ayala.
Born 14th Apr 1973, Parana.
- José ChamotJosé Antonio Chamot.
Born 17th May 1969, Concepcion del Uruguay.
- Javier ZanettiJavier Adelmar Zanetti.
Born 10th Aug 1973, Buenos Aires.
- Matías AlmeydaMatías Jesús Almeyda.
Born 21st Dec 1973, Azul.
73' Booked for bringing down Anderton on a charge through midfield.
- Diego SimeoneDiego Pablo Simeone.
Born 28th Apr 1970, Buenos Aires.
(c) 47' Simeone gets carded for fouling Beckham who petulantly kicks back.
- Juan Sebastián VerónJuan Sebastián Verón.
Born 9th Mar 1975, La Plata.
44' Late challenge on Michael Owen.
- Ariel OrtegaAriel Arnaldo Ortega.
Born 4th Mar 1974, Ledesma.
- Gabriel BatistutaGabriel Omar Batistuta.
Born 1st Feb 1969, Santa Fe.
- Claudio LópezClaudio Javier López.
Born 17th Jul 1974, Rio Tercero.
- Hernán CrespoHernán Jorge Crespo.
Born 5th Jul 1975, Florida.
- Marcelo GallardoMarcelo Daniel Gallardo.
Born 18th Jan 1976, Buenos Aires.
- Sergio BertiSergio Ángel Berti.
Born 17th Sep 1969, Villa Constitucion.
- David Beckham: Red CardDavid Beckham is sent off for an impetuous retaliatory kick at Diego Simeone after being fouled by the Argentinian. Simeone is booked for the foul.
- Campbell: Goal Not GivenSol Campbell has a goal struck off on 81 minutes. Alan Shearer is adjudged to have fouled the 'keeper Roa.
- Argentina win 4-3 on Penalty Kicks
Sergio Berti scored
Alan Shearer scored
Hernan Crespo saved by David Seaman
Paul Ince saved by Carlos Roa
Juan Sebastian Veron scored
Paul Merson scored
Marcelo Gallardo scored
Michael Owen scored
Roberto Ayala scored
David Batty saved by Carlos Roa.
- Penalty: Alan Shearer2nd scored from 3 taken (66.7%). England's 80th overall.
- Match MilestoneEngland's 750th Match
- Denmark Kim Milton Nielsen
- No change in rank, losing -1 ranking points to 1968 points England - 7th
- Argentina - 9th