Match No. 739 - Saturday, 11th October 1997, 8:45pm
- Angelo PeruzziAngelo Peruzzi.
Born 16th Feb 1970, Blera.
- Alessandro NestaAlessandro Nesta.
Born 19th Mar 1976, Rome.
- Paolo MaldiniPaolo Cesare Maldini.
Born 26th Jun 1968, Milan.
- Demetrio AlbertiniDemetrio Albertini.
Born 23rd Aug 1971, Besana in Brianza.
64:54 Late tackle on Batty.
- Fabio CannavaroFabio Cannavaro.
Born 13th Sep 1973, Naples.
- Alessandro CostacurtaAlessandro Costacurta.
Born 24th Apr 1966, Jerago con Orago.
54:44 When the referee indicates a Beckham free kick has to be retaken due to encroachment Costacurta and then Di Livio berate the referee. Luckily for Di Livio Costacurta (as acting captain) pulls back his team mate to stop him from going too far and saves him from a second yellow, however it's not enough to save himself.
- Angelo Di LivioAngelo Di Livio.
Born 26th Jul 1966, Rome.
32:45 Crunching tackle on Le Saux but he gets none of the ball and plenty of the Englishman's right ankle. & 76:24 Two footed challenge on Campbell. Worthy of a straight red.
- Dino BaggioDino Baggio.
Born 24th Jul 1971, Camposampiero.
- Christian VieriChristian Vieri.
Born 12th Jul 1973, Bologna.
- Gianfranco ZolaGianfranco Zola.
Born 5th Jul 1966, Oliena.
- Filippo InzaghiFilippo Inzaghi.
Born 9th Aug 1973, Piacenza.
- Antonio BenarrivoAntonio Benarrivo.
Born 21st Aug 1968, Brindisi.
62:52 Pulling Beckham back on the edge of the area.
- Enrico ChiesaEnrico Chiesa.
Born 29th Dec 1970, Genoa.
Father of Federico Chiesa 84:25 Southgate goes through the back of Chiesa but the Italian reacts badly pushing Southgate over. Both are carded.
- Alessandro Del PieroAlessandro Del Piero.
Born 9th Nov 1974, Conegliano.
72:41 Booked for diving in the area. Adams did stick out a leg but Del Piero connected with nothing but air.
- David SeamanArsenal, 38th of 75 caps
34 years, 0 months, 22 days
- Sol CampbellSpurs, 11th of 73 caps
23 years, 0 months, 23 days
Centre Back 17:14 Late sliding challenge on Inzaghi.
- Graeme le SauxChelsea, 21st of 36 caps
28 years, 11 month, 25 days
Left Wing Back
- Paul InceLiverpool, 34th of 53 caps
29 years, 11 month, 21 day
Midfield (c)5th captaincy
- Tony AdamsArsenal, 48th of 66 caps
31 years, 0 months, 1 day
- Gareth SouthgateAston Villa, 21st of 57 caps
27 years, 1 month, 8 days
Centre Back 84:26 Southgate goes through the back of Chiesa but the Italian reacts badly pushing Southgate over. Both are carded.
- David BeckhamMan Utd, 11th of 115 caps
22 years, 5 months, 9 days
Right Wing Back
- Paul GascoigneRangers, 53rd of 57 caps
30 years, 4 months, 15 days
Midfield 44:06 Carded for a tackle on Baggio but TV replays suggest Gascoinge won the ball and whilst his trailing leg makes contact with Baggio's the Italian's extravagant dives sells it for the referee.
- Ian WrightArsenal, 29th of 33 caps
33 years, 11 month, 8 days
- Teddy SheringhamMan Utd, 29th of 51 caps
31 years, 6 months, 9 days
- David BattyNewcastle Utd, 27th of 42 caps
28 years, 10 months, 9 days
- Nicky ButtMan Utd, 4th of 39 caps
22 years, 8 months, 21 day
- Player InjuriesIn the 12th minute [11:53] Ince goes up for a header with Albertini, following an Italian goal kick, and receives an accidental gash to the head from the Italian's elbow. He immediately leaves the field to undergo three stitches. He returns eight minutes later [20:44]. Later in the 2nd half [69:19] the wound opens up again and the ref orders Ince off the field for more treatment and receives a bandage around his head and comes back on a few minutes later [70:44]. Gascoigne would later describe his captain as "looking like a pint of Guinness".
In the 25th minute [24:59] Maldini goes into a tackle with Ince and twists his left ankle badly. He returns after a couple of minutes [27:30]. He tries to carry on for a few minutes but eventually signals to come off and is replaced by Benarrivo [30:25].
- The Independent "Football: England emerge triumphant from; their game of Roman role reversal", Sunday 12th October 1997
- Telegraph "Ince's raw courage sees England through to the finals", Sunday 12th October 1997, page 110.
- The Guardian "Set square for France", Monday 13th Ocotber 1997, page 21.
- Netherlands Mario van der Ende
- No change in rank, gaining 4 ranking points to 2000 points England - 5th
- Italy - 6th
World Cup 1998 Q