Match No. 662 - Sunday, 1st July 1990, 9:00pm
- Assist: Stuart Pearce. "When Platt met Pearce's cross with a firm header past Nkono after 25 minutes it seemed that England only needed to produce more of the same the earn themselves a comfortable victory." David Platt2nd of 27 goals. Header from 6 yards., 26' 25:05
- "Lineker's first penalty...in the 82nd minute was awarded after [Massing]'s flailing foot had brought him down." Gary Lineker33rd of 48 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 83' 82:55 (pen)
- "His second, at the end of the first half of extra-time, came when he hared past the last defender on to Gascoigne's pass. This time Nkono was the offender." Gary Lineker34th of 48 goals. Right-footed from 12 yards., 105' +1105:26 (pen)
- Peter ShiltonDerby, 123rd of 125 caps
40 years, 9 months, 13 days
- Paul ParkerQPR, 9th of 19 caps
26 years, 2 months, 27 days
- Stuart PearceNotts Forest, 29th of 78 caps
28 years, 2 months, 7 days 69:47 High challenge on Makanaky.
- Mark WrightDerby, 28th of 45 caps
26 years, 10 months, 30 days
- Des WalkerNotts Forest, 23rd of 59 caps
24 years, 7 months, 5 days
- Terry ButcherRangers, 76th of 77 caps
31 years, 6 months, 3 days (c)6th captaincy
- David PlattAston Villa, 9th of 62 caps
24 years, 0 months, 21 day
- Chris WaddleMarseille, 57th of 62 caps
29 years, 6 months, 17 days
- Gary LinekerSpurs, 56th of 80 caps
29 years, 7 months, 1 day
- John BarnesLiverpool, 58th of 79 caps
26 years, 7 months, 24 days
- Peter BeardsleyLiverpool, 43rd of 59 caps
29 years, 5 months, 13 days
- Trevor StevenRangers, 27th of 36 caps
26 years, 9 months, 10 days
- "[Milla] moved on to a through pass from Pagal and went down as Gascoigne, who probably did not know much about what was going on, tackled him. Shilton made a valiant effort to reach Kunde's penalty but was still beaten by it." Emmanuel Kundé, 62'61:19 (pen)
- "Two minutes later Ekeke replaced Mfede and two minutes after that Milla sent in Ekeke to put Cameroon in front." Eugène Ekéké, 65'64:58
- Thomas N'KonoThomas N'Kono.
Born 20th Jul 1956, Dizangue.
104:48 Failing to get back on his line for the second penalty.
- Benjamin MassingBenjamin Roger Massing.
Born 20th Jun 1962, Edéa.
28:40 Tackling Lineker from behind. The referee let's play go on and then books Massing.
- Bertin EbwelléBertin Ebwellé Ndingué.
Born 11th Sep 1962, Yaoundé.
- Emmanuel KundéEmmanuel Jérôme Kundé.
Born 15th Jul 1956, Ndom.
- Jean-Claude PagalJean-Claude Pagal.
Born 15th Sep 1964, Yaoundé.
- Stephen TatawStephen Tataw Eta.
Born 31st Mar 1963, Yaoundé.
- Louis-Paul M'FédéLouis-Paul M'Fédé.
Born 26th Feb 1961, Yaoundé.
- Thomas LibiihThomas Libiih.
Born 17th Nov 1967, Douala.
- Cyrille MakanakyCyrille Thomas Makanaky.
Born 28th Jun 1965, Douala.
- Emmanuel MaboangEmmanuel Maboang Kessack.
Born 27th Nov 1968, Ndiki Mbam.
- François Omam-BiyikFrançois Omam-Biyik.
Born 21st May 1966, Sackbayene.
- Roger MillaAlbert Roger Mooh Miller.
Born 20th May 1952, Yaoundé.
119:05 Dissent after been penalised for handball.
- Eugène EkékéEbelle Ferdinand Ekéké.
Born 30th May 1960, Bonabéri.
- Player InjuryFor the last five minutes of regular time Mark Wright left the field to receive attention to a cut above his left eye which he received going up for a challenge with Milla [84:57]. As England had used their two permitted substitutes, he returned just before the 90 minutes were up but couldn't head the ball so moved to the right wing, Steven moving to right back and Parker to centre back.
- Penalty: Emmanuel Kundé"[Milla] moved on to a through pass from Pagal and went down as Gascoigne, who probably did not know much about what was going on, tackled him. Shilton made a valiant effort to reach Kunde's penalty but was still beaten by it."
- Penalty: Gary Lineker1st scored from 1 taken (100.0%). England's 68th overall. Massing brings Lineker down in the area. Lineker scores past N'Kono as he dives the wrong way to his right.
- Penalty: Gary Lineker2nd scored from 2 taken (100.0%). England's 69th overall. Gascoigne plays Lineker through one-on-one with the keeper who brings him down. N'Kono is booked and Lineker smashes the penalty down the middle.
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report
- BBC Football
- The Guardian "England find the courage to make history", Monday 2nd July 1990, page 14.
- Mexico Edgardo Codesal Mendez
- Up 1 place, gaining 11 ranking points to 1992 points England - 3rd - 1
- Cameroon - 32nd