Match No. 617 - Wednesday, 18th June 1986, 12:00pm
- Assist: Steve Hodge. From a Hoddle cross on the right, Lineker tangles with a defender on the 6 yard line by the left post, he manages to prod the ball left, into the path of the onrushing Hodge. The keeper goes with the ball leaving an empty net. Hodge crosses from the left byline under the keeper and Lineker, struggling to his feet, manages to stick out a right toe to divert the ball over the line from 3 yards out level with the left post. Gary Lineker10th of 48 goals, 31'
- Assist: Terry Butcher. "From Hoddle's corner Butcher sent in a low shot which rebounded from the goalkeeper's chest and Beardsley pounced on the rebound to score." Peter Beardsley2nd of 9 goals, 56'
- Assist: Peter Beardsley. Beardsley latches onto a through ball inside to area to the right. He takes a couple of touches and makes a square cross along the floor for the unmarked Lineker (6 yards out level with the right post) to hit a right side foot shot past the keeper into the bottom right corner. Gary Lineker11th of 48 goals, 72'
- Peter ShiltonSouthampton, 85th of 125 caps
36 years, 9 months, 0 days (c)10th captaincy
- Gary StevensEverton, 13th of 46 caps
23 years, 2 months, 22 days
- Kenny SansomArsenal, 69th of 86 caps
27 years, 8 months, 22 days
- Glenn HoddleSpurs, 37th of 53 caps
28 years, 7 months, 22 days
- Alvin MartinWest Ham, 16th of 17 caps
27 years, 10 months, 30 days 37'
- Steve HodgeAston Villa, 7th of 24 caps
23 years, 7 months, 24 days 67'
- Peter ReidEverton, 8th of 13 caps
29 years, 11 month, 28 days
- Peter BeardsleyNewcastle Utd, 8th of 59 caps
25 years, 5 months, 0 days
- Gary LinekerEverton, 17th of 80 caps
25 years, 6 months, 18 days
- Trevor StevenEverton, 12th of 36 caps
22 years, 8 months, 27 days
- Gary StevensSpurs, 7th of 7 caps
24 years, 2 months, 19 days
- Mark HateleyAC Milan, 21st of 32 caps
24 years, 7 months, 11 day
- Roberto FernándezRoberto Eladio Fernández Roa.
Born 9th Jul 1954, Asunción.
- Juan ToralesJuan Bautista Torales.
Born 9th Mar 1956, Luque.
- César ZabalaCésar Zabala Fernández.
Born 3rd Jun 1961, Luque.
- Vladimiro SchetinaVladimiro Schetina Chepini.
Born 8th Oct 1955, Asunción.
- Rogelio DelgadoRogelio Wilfrido Delgado Casco.
Born 12th Oct 1959, Asunción.
- Jorge NunesJorge Amado Nunes Infrán.
Born 18th Oct 1961, Berazategui, Arentina.
- Buenaventura FerreiraBuenaventura Ferreira Gómez.
Born 4th Jul 1960, Coronel Oviedo.
- Julio César RomeroJulio César Romero Insfrán.
Born 28th Aug 1960, Luque.
- Roberto CabañasRoberto Cabañas González.
Born 11th Apr 1961, Pilar.
- Adolfino CañeteAdolfino Cañete Azcurra.
Born 13th Sep 1956, Asunción.
- Alfredo MendozaAlfredo Damián Mendoza Sulewski.
Born 12th Dec 1963, Encarnación.
- Jorge GuaschJorge Catalino Guasch Bazán.
Born 17th Jan 1961, Itá.
- Player Injury"a well-aimed elbow to the throat" from Delgago caused Lineker to be stretched off the pitch during the second half. Whilst he was receiving treatment on the side-lines England scored their second goal.
- Player MilestoneGary Stevens' Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneGary Lineker's 10th Goal
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report
- The Guardian "Lineker leads the charge", Thursday, 19th June 1986, page 28.
- Syria Jamal Al Sharif
- Up 1 place, gaining 34 ranking points to 1997 points England - 3rd - 1
- Paraguay - 21st