Match No. 617 - Wednesday, 18th June 1986, 12:00pm
- Assist: Steve Hodge. "...an attempted shot by Stevens was inadvertently blocked by Hoddle who promptly found Hodge in space on the left. With Fernandez drawn towards the ball the Villa player slipped it back past him for Lineker to score his fourth World Cup goal into an empty net." Gary Lineker10th of 48 goals. Right-footed from 3 yards., 32' 31:33
- Assist: Terry Butcher. "From Hoddle's corner Butcher sent in a low shot which rebounded from the goalkeeper's chest and Beardsley pounced on the rebound to score." Peter Beardsley2nd of 9 goals. Right-footed from 5 yards., 56' 55:23
- Assist: Peter Beardsley. "In the 73rd minute, with Paraguay's defence spread wide, Hoddle found Stevens, his Spurs colleague, near the right-hand byline, and Lineker beat the goalkeeper from the low cross..." Gary Lineker11th of 48 goals. Right-footed from 6 yards., 73' 72:00
- Peter ShiltonSouthampton, 85th of 125 caps
36 years, 9 months, 0 days (c)10th captaincy
- Gary StevensEverton, 13th of 46 caps
23 years, 2 months, 22 days
- Kenny SansomArsenal, 69th of 86 caps
27 years, 8 months, 22 days
- Glenn HoddleSpurs, 37th of 53 caps
28 years, 7 months, 22 days
- Alvin MartinWest Ham, 16th of 17 caps
27 years, 10 months, 30 days 37:04 Difficult to see what Martin is carded for as the TV pictures are inconclusive but it seems that he is cautioned for deliberately kicking (or throwing the ball away) instead of returning it for a Paraguayan free kick for offside.
- Steve HodgeAston Villa, 7th of 24 caps
23 years, 7 months, 24 days 67:23 Late challenge on Cañete. Cañete gets up and body checks Hodge.
- Peter ReidEverton, 8th of 13 caps
29 years, 11 month, 28 days
- Peter BeardsleyNewcastle Utd, 8th of 59 caps
25 years, 5 months, 0 days
- Gary LinekerEverton, 17th of 80 caps
25 years, 6 months, 18 days
- Trevor StevenEverton, 12th of 36 caps
22 years, 8 months, 27 days
- Gary StevensSpurs, 7th of 7 caps
24 years, 2 months, 19 days
- Mark HateleyAC Milan, 21st of 32 caps
24 years, 7 months, 11 day
- Roberto FernándezRoberto Eladio Fernández Roa.
Born 9th Jul 1954, Asunción.
- Juan ToralesJuan Bautista Torales.
Born 9th Mar 1956, Luque.
- César ZabalaCésar Zabala Fernández.
Born 3rd Jun 1961, Luque.
- Vladimiro SchetinaVladimiro Schetina Chepini.
Born 8th Oct 1955, Asunción.
- Rogelio DelgadoRogelio Wilfrido Delgado Casco.
Born 12th Oct 1959, Asunción.
- Jorge NunesJorge Amado Nunes Infrán.
Born 18th Oct 1961, Berazategui, Arentina.
59:28 Jostling the ref (see notes).
- Buenaventura FerreiraBuenaventura Ferreira Gómez.
Born 4th Jul 1960, Coronel Oviedo.
- Julio César RomeroJulio César Romero Insfrán.
Born 28th Aug 1960, Luque.
- Roberto CabañasRoberto Cabañas González.
Born 11th Apr 1961, Pilar.
- Adolfino CañeteAdolfino Cañete Azcurra.
Born 13th Sep 1956, Asunción.
- Alfredo MendozaAlfredo Damián Mendoza Sulewski.
Born 12th Dec 1963, Encarnación.
- Jorge GuaschJorge Catalino Guasch Bazán.
Born 17th Jan 1961, Itá.
- Player Injury"a well-aimed elbow to the throat" from Delgago [53:30] caused Lineker to be stretched off the pitch during the second half. Whilst he was receiving treatment on the side-lines England scored their second goal.
- Bad tempered matchA ball into the area for Cabañas wrong-foots Martin who pulls back the striker [58:26]. Cabañas goes down dramatically. It does seem like a tug but the referee waves away the incensed Paraguayans. Nunes is straight into the official's face and even pushes the ref with his chest. Al Sharif is soon absolutely surrounded and jostled further by seven of them. He manages to break away but they all keep following him as he asks them to retreat. The linesman has to come on and help, so does a FIFA official, as the ref tries to separate Nunes, who he wants to book, from the rest of the herd. Nunes is finally booked [59:28]. The game now is littered with off the ball incidents and jostling after every foul/challenge by both sides. The referee is far from in control.
- Player MilestoneGary Stevens' Last Cap
- Goal MilestoneGary Lineker's 10th Goal
- England - The Quest for the World Cup - A Complete Record by Clive Leatherdale (Two Heads Publishing 1994)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- Official FIFA report
- The Guardian "Lineker leads the charge", Thursday, 19th June 1986, page 28.
- englandstats.com Digital Archive
- Syria Jamal Al Sharif
- Up 1 place, gaining 34 ranking points to 1997 points England - 3rd - 1
- Paraguay - 21st