Match No. 611 - Wednesday, 23rd April 1986, 7:45pm
- Assist: Steve Hodge. "After a free-kick near the 18 yard line had been tapped by Francis and stunned by Wilkins, Hodle [sic] sent a lob towards the far post. Gough could only head his clearance across goal, Hodge nodded the ball back and Butcher hurled himself through a gap to head past Rough." Terry Butcher3rd of 3 goals. Header from 6 yards., 29' 28:38
- Assist: Kenny Sansom. "Five minutes before half-time Sansom sent in a well struck but, by international standards, thoroughly stoppable shot from 25 yards out on the left. However, Rough's positioning left more than a little to be desired. The Scottish goalkeeper could only deflect the ball weakly into the path of Hoddle, who followed up to head a simple second goal." Glenn Hoddle8th of 8 goals. Header from 6 yards., 42' 41:04
- Peter ShiltonSouthampton, 79th of 125 caps
36 years, 7 months, 5 days
- Gary StevensEverton, 8th of 46 caps
23 years, 0 months, 27 days
- Kenny SansomArsenal, 63rd of 86 caps
27 years, 6 months, 27 days
- Glenn HoddleSpurs, 31st of 53 caps
28 years, 5 months, 27 days
- Dave WatsonNorwich, 6th of 12 caps
24 years, 5 months, 3 days
Centre Back 18:34 Fouling Speedie from behind.
- Terry ButcherIpswich, 38th of 77 caps
27 years, 3 months, 26 days
- Steve HodgeAston Villa, 2nd of 24 caps
23 years, 5 months, 29 days
- Ray WilkinsAC Milan, 78th of 84 caps
29 years, 7 months, 9 days
Midfield (c)9th captaincy
- Mark HateleyAC Milan, 16th of 32 caps
24 years, 5 months, 16 days
- Trevor FrancisSampdoria, 52nd of 52 caps
32 years, 0 months, 4 days
- Chris WaddleSpurs, 14th of 62 caps
25 years, 4 months, 9 days
- Peter ReidEverton, 5th of 13 caps
29 years, 10 months, 3 days
- Gary StevensSpurs, 4th of 7 caps
24 years, 0 months, 24 days
- "Eleven minutes into the second half, Gough beat Sansom to the ball on the right and set up a quick double exchange of passes with Nicholas who went flying over Butcher's leg a fraction outside the penalty area. Even so, a penalty was given and after Nicholas had been carried off Souness sent his kick inside the left-hand post with Shilton not that far away from getting a touch." Graeme Souness, 58'57:13 (pen)
- Alan RoughAlan Roderick Rough.
Born 25th Nov 1951, Glasgow.
- Richard GoughRichard Charles Gough.
Born 5th Apr 1962, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Maurice MalpasMaurice Daniel Robert Malpas.
Born 3rd Aug 1962, Dunfermline.
- Graeme SounessGraeme James Souness.
Born 6th May 1953, Edinburgh.
- Alex McLeishAlexander McLeish.
Born 21st Jan 1959, Glasgow.
- Willie MillerWilliam Ferguson Miller.
Born 2nd May 1955, Glasgow.
- Steve NicolStephen Nicol.
Born 11th Dec 1961, Troon.
- David SpeedieDavid Robert Speedie.
Born 20th Feb 1960, Glenrothes.
39:04 Late hack on Sansom.
- Charlie NicholasCharles Nicholas.
Born 30th Dec 1961, Glasgow.
39:40 Petulant kick at Watson. Both Speedie and Nicholas were furious with the linesman a few moments before when Nicholas was flagged offside. Within a minute both had taken out their anger on English defenders and had been booked.
- Roy AitkenRobert Sime Aitken.
Born 24th Nov 1958, Irvine.
- Eamonn BannonEamonn John Bannon.
Born 18th Apr 1958, Edinburgh.
- Pat NevinPatrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin.
Born 6th Sep 1963, Glasgow.
- Tournament WinnersEngland won the one match tournament.
- Player Injuries"England lost their acting captain, Wilkins, for the second half after a challenge by Nicol (32:06) had left him with a dead leg and Hodge missed the last 15 minutes with a leg injury." Charlie Nicholls is carried off with a suspected dislocated shoulder after going down for the Scottish penalty.
- Player MilestoneTrevor Francis' Last Cap
- Wembley - The Complete Record 1923 - 2000 by Glen Isherwood (Sports Books 2006)
- England: The Complete Post-War Record by Mike Payne (Breedon Books Publishing Company 1993)
- The Guardian "England survive Scottish uprising", Thursday 24th April 1986, page 28.
- France Michel Vautrot
- No change in rank, gaining 8 ranking points to 1970 points England - 2nd
- Scotland - 11th