Match No. 167 - Wednesday, 15th May 1929
Spain 4 - 3 England
- England 3rd Goal: The Times erroneously credits the 3rd goal to Hill rather than Bradford.
- First Defeat Abroad: The first defeat on the continent by England.
- Goal Sequence: The goal sequence is disputed. Some sources state that it was 2-0 to England at half time, others say 2-2. Bradford's goal time is unknown.
- The Times "England beaten in Madrid", Thursday 16th May 1929, page 7.
- The History of the English Football League: Part One 1888-1930 by Michael J. Slade